• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever overpay for a coin and are glad you did?

22 posts in this topic

I payed too much for this half cent and I'm glad I did. I've been trying to find a nice one for my Dansco 7070 and this one was in an NGC AU58 holder. The seller had a BIN of $295 and I jumped on it. It has a few marks from circulation, but overall I really like the look.

84831929.jpg

84831930.jpg

Nice half cent. :)

Ever overpay for a coin and are glad you did?

Yes, for the past 40 years. Time seems to fix much of the price problem.

Probably could have made more in some other investment but not much fun in that.

:)

It is only overpaying when there is no one else willing to pay the amount you paid. For truly original, attractive coins, there is usually another buyer willing to pay nearly any price for it if he needs it.

I collect LECBH by die marriage and by die state.

There are 4 die states rarity rated R1 to R3 ("common" to "scarce," but not "very scarce" or "rare") that I have been looking for for years in the condition I like and the grade range that I prefer.

If I ever find them - and if I have the funds AND the seller does not want moon money for them - I will NOT hestitate to overpay to get them.

Which ones?

I will NOT tell you. Because if you had them and were willing to sell them to me at 3 to 4 times Market Price, I would be so very, very tempted.

Are there Busties that I own that I overpaid just to obtain?

Of course, some of these die marriages/die states - problem-free and even ones with problems - only come on the market every year or so.

Am I glad that I did?

As a collector, I say "Yes."

...but a few years from now when some of the coins need to go bye-bye in order to supplement my SSI income, perhaps my answer could change to (on some of the coins): "Oooops! I paid too much."

I like it!! Looks a little dried out though. Try this:

DSCN3040A.jpg

DSCN3041A.jpg

The key is knowing which coins to overpay for.

So, so true!

This is the coin that I've overpaid the most for. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

MAINEOBVA.jpg

question------ Ever "overpay" for a coin and are glad you did?

answer-----YES!! all of the time and in fact 99% of the time!!!!!!

and then after the fact i realized i got a great deal and actually underpaid...........

Yup, I own a box of 40 and overpaid on 30 out of the 40. But the the funny thing and this has already been said is shortly after I made the purchase I found out I really didn't overpay by that much and a little later I find I made a smart purchase. Note this has nothing to do with the market rising, because I am not discussing any appreciation that may or may not have occurred, in fact I couldn't careless about it because I don't intend to sell any of the box of 40 (andiI promise you if I ever decided to sell the timing would be awful because that would be a cycle of depressed prices, just my luck of course).

I have learned from many other wiser board members, if you buy quality you will never be sorry, in the short term and of course in the long term. You get burried with the typical because no one will want it when you go to sell (if you have to of course).

Lastly, I live by a couple of credos and one of them is, I hate when I have regretted not doing something like making a purchase, and when I listen to my gut it is usually right 9 times out of 10. So when I buy, I buy for the long term to factor out market downturns and corrections regarding my buy decision and when I buy to hold it is because I really love the coin, have to have it and don't want to regret not making the purchase. It works for me.

Do I know which coin to overpay for, I sure hope I do.

I know I overpaid for the Trade Dollar I bought from ANACONDA - its was a Slabbed NGC MS65 with this nice crescent tone - I had the last laugh though as It got recertified as CAMEO :) which is part of my proof set.

43742-trade.jpg.e20df98b63ddda2f9fbf5d63b4636b71.jpg

I've overpaid for lots of coins, but like someone else mentioned, time seems to heal all those wounds! Heck, I "overpaid" for most of my common date Saints considering I paid around $400 each when melt was only $250 for them, and a 60% premium to melt would be crazy today! I probably overpaid at the time for my 09/08, my 22-S, 24-S and 25-S, but the latter 2 especially are more expensive and harder to find today. I probably overpaid for my 1889 double eagle, but those are getting much harder to find today. And I definitely overpaid for my 16-D quarter, considering 7 years ago I paid more than current bid, but I am very happy with that coin! The whole point is that I would not be as happy with my collection had I waited for lesser coins at what at the time would have been appropriate prices!

I WAY over paid for this, but it's so long since I've been able to add an early half dime to my collection that I went and bit the bullet. I rationalize this purchase by noting that I'm into the rest of collection "light."

1796 half dimes are rarer than 1794 half dimes.

1796HalfDimeO.jpg1796HalfDimeR.jpg

Couple of years back I mistakenly added an extra 0 to my max bit on a lot of 100 BU silver halves. Needless to say I won the auction. That week silver closed at less than 4 dollars an ounce. Each coin cost me the exorbitant price of 2.00 each. In hindsight I'm glad I overpaid.

PQ coins cost money above Greysheet bid/ask prices and sometimes more than the higher PCGS/Coin Values price guidelines too. Yes, I've overpaid on a couple of coins but am glad that I did and will do it again should the right coins present themselves.