• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this Morgan?

23 posts in this topic

What do you see that makes you think it is a problem coin? Are there hairlines that are not showing up in the picture? I like it.

Lee,

To me, I see nothing that would indicate a problem. I can not see any evidence of cleaning/wiping, damage, and the lustre and overall appearance seems to me to be quite nice and natural.

I like the coin.

Rey

Is the coin bent maybe? I certainly do not see a problem with the surfaces. I think this coin would grade MS66 unless I am missing something.

It's in an old 10 digit red label PCI holder. MS65 Hairlined on the label.

I can't find any hairlines on the coin and took for granted they were saying it was cleaned. I always thought the bit of dark shade to the face and chin was what they were seeing. It was actually hard to get that to show in the image. Thought someone would point that area out or something else I missed. Maybe I have been too tough on the coin all these years. Thanks for the thoughts.

If the cheek is not thumbed, then this is a no-brainer MS-66. The luster does have a strange look on the cheek, but it could just be weird lighting playing tricks on us.

Well someone did point that out while I was typing.

Wonder if PCI just used the word hairlined insted of thumbed?

I can't find any hairlines on the coin and took for granted they were saying it was cleaned. I always thought the bit of dark shade to the face and chin was what they were seeing.

Ah - that makes a big difference, then! My guess would be that the coin has in fact been thumbed. That is a classic use of the technique - to cover up hairlines on the cheek.

The fact that you notice an unexpected color change is pretty strong support for the notion that the coin's been thumbed.

I can't find any hairlines on the coin and took for granted they were saying it was cleaned. I always thought the bit of dark shade to the face and chin was what they were seeing.

Ah - that makes a big difference, then! My guess would be that the coin has in fact been thumbed. That is a classic use of the technique - to cover up hairlines on the cheek.

The fact that you notice an unexpected color change is pretty strong support for the notion that the coin's been thumbed.

What is thumbed ?

John

What is thumbed ?

John, the original meaning was literally to use one's thumb to smear grease on blemished areas of a Morgan dollar - almost always the cheek - to cover up shiny areas and impart the appearance of a higher grade. The thumb-er would use the flat part of his thumb to wipe grease off his forehead (or nose or ear, wherever the human body builds up body oils) and apply that to the cheek. With a little luck, the shiny ticks and marks on the cheek that look distracting and limit the grade would disappear.

Today, it's a little more sophisticated than that, but the principle is the same. Vaseline, axle grease, baby oil, putty, paper-glue, rubber cement, paraffin or any number of other substances can be applied to Liberty's cheek, hair, or the fields, or the eagle's feathers for that matter, to cover up shiny spots that are indicative of bagmarks or coin-to-coin contact. Once these tell-tale shiny spots are eliminated, the coin appears to grade much higher. Furthermore, the technique has been applied to every type of copper or silver coin out there, and even the occasional gold coin.

The most egregious aspect of this practice is that if left on the coin, the substance may react with the metal and etch or corrode the surface, rendering permanent damage. Thus, such coin doctoring is strictly frowned upon.

Once in awhile, such coins do appear in every grading company's slab, but by and large, they usually catch this doctoring technique.

Hope this helps.