• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT/NT is this worth the cost?

25 posts in this topic

Lincoln Cent NGC PF65. Is this toning worth $3k?

Proof Lincoln

In a word Bob, NO. I think this speaks volumes. Quoted from the Heritage site.

"The coin listed below is not part of Heritage's inventory. It has been consigned by a member of Heritage's Virtual Bourse Network. The image and description have also been provided by the consignor. Therefore Heritage makes no representations as to the accuracy of the descriptions or photography or the fairness of the pricing. Heritage merely acts as a broker and escrow agent for any transaction "

Proof Lincoln

It is clear (to me) whose coin this is, and all I'm going to say about them is that it is not unsual for said dealer to overprice coins. It is up to the buyer to pass or play, and while I don't agree with the price, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with trying to sell it at that price point. That said, it is clearly an attractive coin worth a premium to others of its grade, but in my opinion not anywhere near as large of a premium as is being asked. Caveat emptor...Mike

p.s. the coin appears, to me, to be NT, attractive and desireable. I would value the coin just shy of $300.

Proof Lincoln

"The coin listed below is not part of Heritage's inventory. It has been consigned by a member of Heritage's Virtual Bourse Network. The image and description have also been provided by the consignor. Therefore Heritage makes no representations as to the accuracy of the descriptions or photography or the fairness of the pricing. Heritage merely acts as a broker and escrow agent for any transaction "

Proof Lincoln

But don't they use the same disclaimer for other "virtual bourse" consignments, as well? If so, my point is that the disclaimer, alone, wouldn't necessarily/automatically indicate that the asking price was too "high".

Proof Lincoln

Proof Lincoln

But don't they use the same disclaimer for other "virtual bourse" consignments, as well? If so, my point is that the disclaimer, alone, wouldn't necessarily/automatically indicate that the asking price was too "high".

I agree 100% Mark. All this means is the seller is posting his/her assessment of value. :grin:

Bob, you're supposed to be the guy who knows Lincolns! :grin:

I know jack about Lincolns, but from what I understand the main issue with AT/NT has to due with blue coins, so I'm going to guess this is NT. Having said that, I do not find it worth $3,000. That's a fair amount of cash, and a heck of a toning premium, and there are a LOT of other coins out there that look nicer IMO that are less expensive.

I realize that whatever one offers their coins for is their business and whatever someone pays for a coin is their business, but having said that, either seller or buyer will soon be out of business at this rate. I would love to know the seller just to not waste time at their site.

It is clear (to me) who's coin this is, and all I'm going to say about them is that it is not unsual for said dealer to overprice coins. p.s. the coin appears, to me, to be NT, attractive and desireable. I would value the coin just shy of $300.

I agree with you. It was fairly clear to me as well as to who's coins this is. While I do think it is attractive and quite striking, I don't see where it would command a $2800 premium..

I realize that whatever one offers their coins for is their business and whatever someone pays for a coin is their business, but having said that, either seller or buyer will soon be out of business at this rate. I would love to know the seller just to not waste time at their site.

I'll agree Jim. This definitely calls for some buyer discipline. Or some very large "kahunas".36_11_6.gif

alittlediscipline.jpg

I know jack about Lincolns, but from what I understand the main issue with AT/NT has to due with blue coins, so I'm going to guess this is NT. Having said that, I do not find it worth $3,000. That's a fair amount of cash, and a heck of a toning premium, and there are a LOT of other coins out there that look nicer IMO that are less expensive.

Copper is extremely reactive. Do not assume that a coin is NT just because it is a color other than blue. When the blue Indian debate was raging, I made a statement that the next big color was going to be green as that is what some people were working on.

To me this coin may be NT or may be AT. The picture is a little too juiced to really tell. Regardless, it is not a $3K coin IMHO. I suspect at a true auction it'd bring between $750-$1,000.

Copper is extremely reactive. Do not assume that a coin is NT just because it is a color other than blue. When the blue Indian debate was raging, I made a statement that the next big color was going to be green as that is what some people were working on.

To me this coin may be NT or may be AT. The picture is a little too juiced to really tell. Regardless, it is not a $3K coin IMHO. I suspect at a true auction it'd bring between $750-$1,000.

Greg, out of curiosity, how did you come up with that auction estimate? I'm not arguing, as I realize it's just guess work/a tough call for such a coin. But I'm wondering what your thought process was? Thanks.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

I got into a match about the value of this coin with the owner about 6 months ago.

In any case the coin has been sold and at a good premium. Congrats to Anaconda and their consignor and to the new owner who got a very pretty coin.

And no, the new owner is not yours truely.

Greg, out of curiosity, how did you come up with that auction estimate? I'm not arguing, as I realize it's just guess work/a tough call for such a coin. But I'm wondering what your thought process was? Thanks.

I've seen some other early Memorial Lincolns with wild color sell for $500-$750 over the past year. This one appears nicer color wise, so I'd expect that it'd easily surpass the high end of the lesser examples. However, given that and the thin market, I do not feel this would come close to the asking price in a true auction.

It is natural and attractive toning, but hardly rare. I have some proof Lincolns that are at least that nice, and don't require heavily juiced images to look beautiful. They look just fine in my Whitman album.

I would generally pay around $150 - $200 for this coin, and have bought them for even less.

It's ANACONDA's coin and is probably about as pretty in hand as his photos show.

Pat, based on the post 3 above yours, I thought that Anaconda had sold the coin - did I misunderstand Chinook's post?

It's ANACONDA's coin and is probably about as pretty in hand as his photos show.

Pat, based on the post 3 above yours, I thought that Anaconda had sold the coin - did I misunderstand Chinook's post?
Mark, I haven't kept up with the latest on this coin so will defer to Chinook as he knows and this is his field of expertise.

Pretty coin that will definitely be worth a continued healthy premium as we approach 2009.

I believe there are a few quiet collectors purchasing these early Proof Lincolns from the marketplace and we're likely to see some substantial gains here in the next few months on these.