• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'52 Frankie-Guess the grade- Grade Revealed

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone look through the leopard skin toning of this Frankie and guess it's grade? It has been in this holder since before I bought it in mid 1990. NGC MS66

1952obv352.jpg

1952rev358.jpg

Well I do what I can with these old eyes Bob. Looking thru the toning, I see no contact marks but I would have to believe at least one. I'd say PR66.

Then I'll change to MS66.

I will give you a hint in that it is not Proof. The "toning" does play havoc with the bell lines.

Here is a different image of the reverse. It shows a marginal difference in the lines. Even under the loupe, it is hard to follow the top lines from start to finish.

1952rev356.jpg

FYI people that is classic mint set toning for Frankies, and IMO is not attractive.

I'd go with MS 65, Bob. Not FBL as they didn't have FBL back then. Nowadays that would FBL at PCGS and would not at NGC.

FYI people that is classic mint set toning for Frankies, and IMO is not attractive.

You mean you don't think that it's more attractive than your Red Monster? :o

Actually, it's not my favorite example of toning either. But at the time it was to good of a deal to pass up. Thankfully also, it looks much better in hand that in front of a camera. :D

Thankfully also, it looks much better in hand that in front of a camera. :D

So what are the colors, Bob? It looks basically brown with maybe some green thrown in.

Thankfully also, it looks much better in hand that in front of a camera. :D

So what are the colors, Bob? It looks basically brown with maybe some green thrown in.

No, no you got the colors correct. It's just that it has more luster than I am able to capture in an image. And just like imperfections on a coin, when the coin is blown up large, the spots get laaaarge also. :grin:

The answer to the grade is NGC MS66. Purchased from Rick Tomaska in 1990. Thanks to all who played the guessing game and gave opinions.

The answer to the grade is NGC MS66.

I was going back and forth on 66, but figured that lack of luster and that ding on the reverse would take it out of contention back then. I know, I know, that you said it's got a lot more luster, I can only judge it on the image.