• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real 22-Karat Gold Versions of Sacagawea Golden Dollars

10 posts in this topic

Finally we get to see them - I hadn't seen them mentioned here before so I figured I would link it here

goldsac6.jpg

Link to article is here

Linkdoo

GOLD :takeit:

hm links not working ... be back with it :)

As I recall, they were pretty well publicized in 1999-2000 and even made the national news when they went up in the space shuttle. The mint just seemed to drop the ball once they got back to earth.

These coins suck so far as I'm concerned. They are a tease that was presented to promote with the idea that the usual Sackie Dollars had gold in them. They prompted some people to hoard them as something that had value over a dollar.

Stop teasing collectors with taxpayer dollars.

As I recall, they were pretty well publicized in 1999-2000 and even made the national news when they went up in the space shuttle. The mint just seemed to drop the ball once they got back to earth.

Yes they were publicized, but I wouldn't say that the mint dropped the ball. The problem was that the Congress thought their right to chose designs had been pre-empted and they insisted on shutting down the mint directors plans, holding hearings etc, and the whole project got shelved. Other than the press briefing after the shuttle returned and displaying the coins at a major show in 1999, the coins have been locked up until the show at the ANA this year. (In this year press releases they said that this was the first time they have been on display. That is incorrect.)

And if I'm not mistaken, these were made illegally, since Congress never authorized a metal change for a special striking.

Well yes and no. Mint Directors plan was to use the design for the 1/2 oz gold bullion coin, and the law DOES allow the Mint Director to select the design of the bullion coins

Interesting, isn't congress now deciding whether the mint should be able to decide the metals in their coins. I think the discussion has much more to do with pennies and nickels. But it brings up a whole slew of potential collector products.