• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade !

28 posts in this topic

Here is a tough one. A 1922 No D Strong reverse Lincoln cent. It has been professionally graded by a top sevice. I disagree with the grade assigned. So I thought perhaps I would get some other opinions from knowledgable collector/dealers from the forum. Please respond with the grade you would assign as well as any particular reasons for that grade. Please note that what appears to be a finger print on the obverse picture is NOT on the coin itself but rather on the scanner from which the picture was taken. I will reveal the top services assigned grade in a day or two so you may compare your skills to those of the experts.

42766-1922nodobv3.jpg.9829589b611909596b6c5d925420acd3.jpg

42767-1922nodrev3.jpg.6a0805e163dd15fda054d30566ce1901.jpg

I would go for VF-20 No worn spots on wheat heads but cheek warn and / or Vf details Enviromental damage !!

(shrug) its just a gess !

FV-20 Details

Am I not seeing some really bad surface areas on Mr. Lincoln's forehead and in the fields there in front of him?

Note: The images provided impede a quick and concise opinion, but I gave one anyway.

Actually no. The details are exceptional for a 22 plain. Also the pictures are approx 100x actual size showing any blemishes 100x as well. By the way, this is not a net graded coins in any way.

I am enjoying the range of grades given to this piece , I would however like to here more about the reasoning behind the grades given. Such as distict and seperate wheatlines, wheat grains, hair details, or perhaps ear definition on the obverse, and so and so forth......... Just whatever reasons that particularly strike you to assign the given grade. I realize that some may not be aquainted with the true difficulty of grading a 22 plain accurately. As certain allowances are generally given by most seasoned collectors/dealers due to weaknesses on even the most exceptional pieces including any and all ( that`s right I said all ! Ha Ha Ha ) mint state examples known. Remember, this is a variety coin. These diagnostic weaknesses are what give the coin it`s rarity and value.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your input. I look forward to further reading your opinions.

XF40-45.

The left wheat stalk shows very little wear.

The obverse has more detail than is typical.

PCGS is a little loose on these right now. I would send it there immediately.

Actually no. The details are exceptional for a 22 plain. Also the pictures are approx 100x actual size showing any blemishes 100x as well. By the way, this is not a net graded coins in any way.

I am enjoying the range of grades given to this piece , I would however like to here more about the reasoning behind the grades given. Such as distict and seperate wheatlines, wheat grains, hair details, or perhaps ear definition on the obverse, and so and so forth......... Just whatever reasons that particularly strike you to assign the given grade. I realize that some may not be aquainted with the true difficulty of grading a 22 plain accurately. As certain allowances are generally given by most seasoned collectors/dealers due to weaknesses on even the most exceptional pieces including any and all ( that`s right I said all ! Ha Ha Ha ) mint state examples known. Remember, this is a variety coin. These diagnostic weaknesses are what give the coin it`s rarity and value.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your input. I look forward to further reading your opinions.

OK, I'm not familiar with this coin, but I am familiar with other weak struck coins (the shield nickels for example).

So I change my grade to VF or maybe an XF, sorry for my ignorance. doh!

Ray

It is difficult with the images, especially on the obverse. I would say EF 40 based on the wear on the hair above the ear, the cheek and the jaw. Problem is I can not determine the extent and degree of wear. The reverse appears to have clearly defined lines in the wheat stalks and possible slight wear on the high points. I also believe it still has traces of the mint luster present.

Rey

The 22 no D has a very weak obverse, if I remember correctly. Thus grading must be done from the reverse. My first reaction was VF-30, but I think that might be a little low. I am going to go with EF-40. Nice coin.

1922 Cent Link

After a bit of research, I can now see why you might disagree with an assigned lower grade than expected, but the graders do get to examine the coin in hand and under optimum conditions.

ALL the diagnostics can be implemented at that time to determine an accurate circulated numerical grade.

But this is how we learn.

It is difficult with the images, especially on the obverse. I would say EF 40 based on the wear on the hair above the ear, the cheek and the jaw. Problem is I can not determine the extent and degree of wear. The reverse appears to have clearly defined lines in the wheat stalks and possible slight wear on the high points. I also believe it still has traces of the mint luster present.

Rey

Now i'm lost.....you guys will have to explain "mint luster" to me.

I'm somewhat of a rookie, so I guess I wouldn't know mint luster if it slapped me in the face. What am I missing? I don't see any denticals, coin does look kinda worn to me.

HELP :pullhair:

Ray

Hello Ray,

Let`s use a shiny new state quarter as an example. I`m sure you can probably locate one in your pocket change. Take the quarter in hand , holding only by it`s edge. Now using a lamp or other lighting source look at the surface of the coin. Now tilt it slightly in one direction and then another like a wobbling merry-go-round. You will notice that the light or shine seems to move or rotate around the surface sort of like spokes on a wheel. What you are watching is what is commonly called mint luster. Produced by the light cascading over the microscopic lines and striations that were created by the striking of the dies,that produced that coins design. Or something to that effect, so to speak. Hope this was helpful. 2c

Hello Ray,

Let`s use a shiny new state quarter as an example. I`m sure you can probably locate one in your pocket change. Take the quarter in hand , holding only by it`s edge. Now using a lamp or other lighting source look at the surface of the coin. Now tilt it slightly in one direction and then another like a wobbling merry-go-round. You will notice that the light or shine seems to move or rotate around the surface sort of like spokes on a wheel. What you are watching is what is commonly called mint luster. Produced by the light cascading over the microscopic lines and striations that were created by the striking of the dies,that produced that coins design. Or something to that effect, so to speak. Hope this was helpful. 2c

Thanks Reid,

I know those lines but i'm such an amature I can not see those lines in your images.

This kinda makes me wonder if I should buy coins from images.

I guess I have lots to learn.

Thanks again,

Ray

I'm gonna go with a VF20 on this.

I'm editing this just to add that I'm not good with weak strikes. This may be why I might be lower than actual grade.

Interesting ! First , I would like to thank you all for your input. It seems that thus far the talley is 10-EF, 8-VF, and 1-AU . My personal opinion as to it`s technical grade is VF-30-35. Which I`m happy to say would seem to be the aggregate grade. Here`s the coin in it`s slab. I have compare this coin to at the very least 40 others of it`s kind in the same and higher grades and in the top two services slabs and am confident that this particular specimen would rate somewhat higher in a PCGS slab, possibly in the EF range. Also, comparitively speaking it` would rate in the Ch VF to EF range in an NGC slab. Only thing I can figure is that this came across the desk late on Friday afternoon and the grader in a rush, gave it a no contest grade ! Oh well ! I`m certainly glad I bought the coin and not the slab.

42822-5.jpg.e4d20da96a1750a1b5b75479e2a2a442.jpg

You may have bought the coin and not the slab, but you would have gotten a better deal if you had bought the slab. The obverse has VF20 details but these can't be graded by the obverse. There is slight weakness on the right wheat lines but I would still call this coin an EF40. If you paid VF20 money then you got a deal.