• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you get a great image of a matte proof Lincoln?

18 posts in this topic

I do ok on most coins but can't even get close to what I see being posted on these.

I'm wondering how you guys light these up to catch the real colors.

Diffuse the light? Tilt the coin to the lens?

Thanks for any ideas.

I have sent mine to other folks for the image.

Same here. Too frustrating for me to get it done. For the minimal fee, it's well worth it!!!

I tilt the coin a bit and take about a dozen or so shots, each time moving the light, revolving to coin and re-tilting it. I also use a small aperture (f18-f22). This will insure the coin will be in focus even when slightly tilted.

1911obv652-1.jpg

1911rev650-1.jpg

1915mplobv011-1.jpg

1915mplrev019-1.jpg

1916mplobv758-2.jpg

1916mplrev751-2.jpg

1913MPLobv740-1.jpg

1913MPLrev742-1.jpg

Thanks chinook. I may need your help before it's over with. :)

The 16 is the one that ticks me off the most.

Where did you get your 1916 Larry? Are there any images of it anywhere? It's funny the 1916 is the one that gave me the hardest time also.

Thanks chinook. I may need your help before it's over with. :)

The 16 is the one that ticks me off the most.

You know what I think of that 1916, Larry, and if it ticks you off that much I would be happy to help you out. hm

I took this some time back but it hides the true color.

The small image below was taken years ago.

Somewhere in the middle is the real look.

I'm not going to show how bad todays images came out. :)

Image_0027-1.jpg

matte-1.jpg

Nice pics Bob (thumbs u. Larry, looks like your getting the focus and everything down, now just the lighting to show original surfaces/colors! (thumbs u

Boy Larry, that is a gorgeous, vibrant and well struck MPL. :cloud9: That is one problem with slabs, especially on small coins. It doesn't take much of a glare to cover the whole coin. I had the same problems when I imaged mine. It took dozens of tries. I finally had to settle for one a little darker than I wanted (mostly around the edges) before I finally settled on one that showed at least most of the color.

I don't know what you use to tilt the coin or slab, but by accident I found a suitable solution. I got some bubble wrap (the small bubble wrap works best) and folded it about half inch thick and about 1 1/2 " to 2" square. Set the slab on it and you can manipulate the slab while looking through the view finder. It's a lot of trial and error, but the right (or close) position is there somewhere. You might have to move the light around, either up, down or around. As you have found with other coins, it takes a lot of fiddling around.

PS. If you ever need help imaging, I'd be thrilled to try my hand at it as I'm sure any number of members would. :)