• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Continuing to Discover New Findings With Collection

17 posts in this topic

As I continue to go through my Father's collection it is amazing and interesting to see what is around the next corner. I originally went through in detail the coins that were in holders, folders, displays, etc. since they were the bulk of his "best pieces".

In addition to those there are numerous containers of miscellaneous flips, and individual coins that I am just now getting to with any earnest or intent. I am finding some interesting pieces so I thought I would just start this post so that I can share them on a progressive basis.

The first is an 1866 Three Cent Piece, comments, opinions, etc. are definitely welcome. Of course while going through these I will be trying to decide whether to send off for Grading, so any words of wisdom are appreciated as usual. (Has this piece been cleaned?)

Thanks,

Rey

1866CopperNickelThreeCentDDOObv.jpg

1866CopperNickelThreeCentDDORev.jpg

Hey Rey,

I get no photos either, but looking, I did notice your Picasaweb link, and I must say, I enjoyed looking at your light bulb collection.

Very nice.

MM :cloud9:

Added: I am going to assume the 3 cent piece is the same one in your Picasa photos. It is hard to tell about that one, since the picture appears to be a scan. Scans make coins look washed out to me. Also, there is not enough detaill on the reverse to get a good look at the III, to determine the line wear. Can you get a photo?

My apologies for the missing pics from yesterday. They are in the original post now. I did some more looking at the coin today before re-posting the pics. It is in my opinion a Double Die Obverse 1866. It meets the criteria in that there is evident doubling on AMERICA especially the last A as well as the base of the bust. I would say that this is an AU 50 coin based on the wear present. As far as being cleaned, I am up in the air and welcome opinions. The color in hand is like the images. There are strong flow lines on this coin under 16X but there are a few lines that I can not eliminate as being from wiping.

Regardless - Fun coin and identified another DDO.

Rey

Another nice coin Rey. (thumbs u I love the fact that we are able to share in your discovery of your fathers beautiful collection. Keep posting and keep discovering. I can't get enough. :cloud9:

I agree that it looks AU, and I see no problems with the coin, but I'm not certain about the DDO designation. It looks more like classic Longacre doubling, in my opinion, though the image is not good enough for me to make a convincing case either way.

Here is an 1883 Seated Liberty Dime. I am guessing AU 50 or there abouts on this one. A lot of chatter around but a little bit of toning here and there as well. Will stay in a flip.

Rey

1883SeatedLibertyTenCentsObv2.jpg

1883SeatedLibertyTenCentsrev.jpg

Howdy Rey, I hadn't noticed that you asked about Longacre doubling in a previous post. Here is a good link with images that will describe what I was writing about.

Thank you Tom, after reading the information and looking very closely I believe you are right in that it is in fact Lonacre Doubling.

Great information, another plus for these boards.

Rey

Here are two Liberty 5 Cent Pieces that I have just now really looked at. The 1883 NC appears to have been wiped here and there unfortunately. The 1904 has not been but my real question, since I am still learning is whether or not this coin has been dipped in the past. Is it too clean or could I have a nice natural MS coin here.

Thanks,

Rey

1883NCLibertyNickelObv.jpg1883NCLibertyNickelRev.jpg

1904LibertyNickelObv.jpg1904LibertyNickelRev.jpg