• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 2 cent - AT or NT?

13 posts in this topic

It may well be the result of MS70(and I suspect it is), but no one but the person that did it knows for sure. However, I didn't buy it to sell or put in a slab. I like it and it's in my 7070 - and that's all that really matters.

The area on the reverse rim directly above the TE in STATES indicates to me that this may be an applied patina. I have seen striations in planchets before, but the presents of roller striations never seem to go up and into the raised rims. Nothing more than an observation and no concrete proof that this would be the norm.

Also, the open area between and below the ribbons holding the laural has what appears to possibly be a brush stroke or is my imagination is running rampant?

Whatever, it's a very strongly struck 2 center and probably looks better in hand.

This looks like several coins I have seen where MS70 has been applied (not by me since I have never used the stuff) but know people who do. As said above, it is still a nice candidate for a Dansco 7070.

The area on the reverse rim directly above the TE in STATES indicates to me that this may be an applied patina. I have seen striations in planchets before, but the presents of roller striations never seem to go up and into the raised rims. Nothing more than an observation and no concrete proof that this would be the norm.

Striations in a planchet would be almost certain to go into the rim. The metal is rolled before being punched, and any irregularities are at the whim of the punch. What I think you meant to say was that this type of striated toning does not go up into the rims, and that may very well be.

IMO this coin may have been cleaned by MS70 and usually if a coin will tone from it, it will appear just blue and cover most of the surface. This coin also has shades of purple and on the lower left the toning has small dots to it. Without seeing it in hand with a good lighting source its kinda hard to say but i believe this one has been AT'd using the sulfer/alcohol mix.