• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Large Cents

83 posts in this topic

My wife picked this one up for me for two or three dollars. It's bent and ugly. What struck me was the odd reverse. Does anybody have any information on this variety? Have I struck gold?

42401-LargeCent1831(Medium).jpg.321285b2bd9009adf42c4fce02eea57c.jpg

1803adj.jpg

1803adjrev.jpg

1803 Small Date w/ Large Fraction

Reverse of 1797

Original crust, scrape across Ms. Liberty (crusty in groove, so it's a very old scrape)

More chocolate in color, enhanced to show what detail is left.

Here is the first coin that I ever bought from a coin, it was 1971 and I’d been collecting for a year or so, with paper route earning in hand I set off to Bob’s coins to look for something special. I liked this large cent because for it’s age, it was a coin from the 18th century that I could afford, ($8.00).

To date it’s the only coin I’ve owned from the 18th century…

1789-cent.jpg

Here’s the last coin I’ve purchased…

1802-cent-1.jpg

Picked it up just last week at the ANA, it’s from the Jules Reiver collection, this cent was also owned by Willard C. Blaisdell and Henry C. Hines. The more I look at it the more I’m liking it, this coin is a really nice fit for my type set.

Those are very old letter stamps incused into those large cents. Looks like that 1803 with the J-B stamp had a die break in the reverse.

neat coins

Hoot, you suck.... and beautiful coin... :D

Here's my contribution to the thread. A coin I've had for a little while, but its previous owner was kind enough to share with me his (better) photos of it... Thanks Lee....Mike

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

What struck me was the odd reverse. Does anybody have any information on this variety? Have I struck gold?

I'm afraid not. What you have is a 31 N-3 which is an R-1, it is suffering from some bad dents and bends, and at sometime in the past itwas "obscened" with the E in CENT altered to resemble a different vowel.

Rexcat, I like your 1798, I haven't checked it over too much but it looks like an S-154 which is a scarcer variety (R-4). It was just about the last 1798 I added to my collection. I never was able to cherry one and had to buy it already attributed.

Brocmitchell, nice 1803, late die state of S-263. Too bad it wasn't the large date. Massive die crack on the reverse with the die sinking badly at STA. Also the area below the date that looks like the rim is wide and worn into the bottom of the date is actually a major die break and is a full cud

This was the second 1793 cent I purchased. The first was very weak 1793 Chain AMERI. for which I paid $270 in the early 1970s. I sold that one for $450 a few years later at my second EAC convention.

This coin is an S-11c

1793WreathCentO.jpg1793WreathCentR.jpg

What struck me was the odd reverse. Does anybody have any information on this variety? Have I struck gold?

I'm afraid not. What you have is a 31 N-3 which is an R-1, it is suffering from some bad dents and bends, and at sometime in the past itwas "obscened" with the E in CENT altered to resemble a different vowel.

I was wondering when someone would say something! When my wife got this, I thought "cool," and put it away. I didn't notice the E turned to a U until the second or third time I looked at it.

Rexcat, I like your 1798, I haven't checked it over too much but it looks like an S-154 which is a scarcer variety (R-4). It was just about the last 1798 I added to my collection. I never was able to cherry one and had to buy it already attributed.

Thanks for the information Conder101, It's cool you can identify the variety of such a worn cent. (thumbs u

How about an early date?

Hoot

I do not have a large cent this early, your will do just fine...

PM with mailing address sent. (thumbs u

It's cool you can identify the variety of such a worn cent.

That one isn't bad at all. You should seee some of the really low grade pieces in my set.

1798 cents can be difficult to identify, especially the last third issued because they tried an experiment and the last third of the 1798's and all of the 1800's were struck from reverse dies that were created by full hubs and the only differences between the dies are some hand finishing work on berry stems, the wreath stems, and the occaisional die scratch or die crack/cud. Fortunately yours is one of the earlier ones with Type II hair, Type I letters, and a Large 8 which narrows it down to just a few varieties

1798 cents can be difficult to identify, especially the last third issued because they tried an experiment and the last third of the 1798's and all of the 1800's were struck from reverse dies that were created by full hubs and the only differences between the dies are some hand finishing work on berry stems, the wreath stems, and the occaisional die scratch or die crack/cud. Fortunately yours is one of the earlier ones with Type II hair, Type I letters, and a Large 8 which narrows it down to just a few varieties

Far out Conder, I’ve learned more about my coin in the day than the 35 years that I’ve owned it. :applause:

In my 1971 Redbook there are examples of what they referred to as small, large, and wide dates, (information that isn’t in any of my later Red Books), so I have thought it’s a “large date” from that reference, but never was to sure about the hair style given the photos in any of my Red Books. Other than the date, what I know about this coin is limited, real limited. :eek:

For a long time this coin has been packed away, I’ve kept it all these years but never really researched what I had beyond it being a Drape Bust Large Cent for my type set.

Thanks for the information; I’ll be looking a lot closer at 1798 cents now! (thumbs u

Love your new Chain, Hoot !!!

Thank you Sir '98, Mike and others. It's the oldest U.S. "NEWP" I've ever had. My most sincere thanks to SageRad for making it happen. Floated through the EAC convention in St. Louis this spring.

Not a shabby 145 you have there, David. ;) You'll have a corner on the CC for that date in no time - your book will follow. :)

Hoot

In my 1971 Redbook there are examples of what they referred to as small, large, and wide dates, (information that isn’t in any of my later Red Books), so I have thought it’s a “large date” from that reference, but never was to sure about the hair style given the photos in any of my Red Books. Other than the date, what I know about this coin is limited, real limited.

For a long time this coin has been packed away, I’ve kept it all these years but never really researched what I had beyond it being a Draped Bust Large Cent for my type set.

Thanks for the information; I’ll be looking a lot closer at 1798 cents now!

Rexcat, your S-154 is a tough variety to find. Personally, I thinks it's much tougher than it's R4+ rarity rating would indicate. Condor got a bit carried away with the keyboard :grin:, as the hair style is actually Style I and not Style II. Style II hair contains an extra curl punched into the lower locks of Miss Liberty's hair, which is absent in Style I. Style I hair is found in the varieties up to and including the 1798 S-164. After that, the Style II hair is found. The Style I letters Condor refers two in the Legends are evidenced by a curly tailed R as opposed to the Style II straight tailed R. The S-154 is the only 1798 variety with the 8 in the date imbedded in the drapery - a signature of this variety. Also one cool characteristic found in many mid or later die state S-154s is the swelling at 9 k and 3 k on the reverse. This tends to obliterate the detail on the coin. This swelling can be readily seen on the reverse of your coin, especially at 9K. The S-154 is one of my favorite '98's (thumbs u

Not a shabby 145 you have there, David. You'll have a corner on the CC for that date in no time - your book will follow.

Thanks, Mark. Appreciate your kind words. Sadly, I'll defer to TR on the cornering of the market on that date. :cry: But, in the meantime I'll be looking for a picture of a Wreath for that Chain and Liberty Cap to act as bookends for :grin: