• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonecoin2003

36 posts in this topic

This ebay seller has become VERY sophisticated with color over the last 3 months. I have monitored his/her auctions and the seller has developed a color technique which may give the grading services something to worry about. Many of his dollars and commems are colored well enough to pass through. Anyone ever buy from this ebay seller? IFso, what were your impressions of the colors?

TRUTH news.gif

I checked this cat out and I wouldn't purchase from him if my life depended on it. His feedback isn't totally indicitive of my perceptions of this creature. He's got 60 or so auctions listed and NONE OF THE COINS ARE SLABBED FROM A MAJOR SERVICE. The one deciding factor was that most of his positive feedbacks were from similar sources and the neg's complained about AT coins. Wouldn't touch this person with a 10 foot pole.

To me, all his raw coins are obvious to me. But the ones in slabs sometimes makes me wonder. That is, the coins in PCGS and NGC slabs. Thankfully, most of the coins I'm interested in now are not played with that much. That is, 1934-1945 mercs and common date gold. Once I finish my merc set, I'll probably stick with gold. Not for investment, just because gold is so freakin' cool to me.

And.......Blast white silver coins have usually BEEN DIPPED!!! Therefore the originality is GONE!!

No need to pass on truly beautiful coins.....just learn to distinguise the difference!

"Distinguise" is an amusing combination of distinguish and disguise.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This persons coins look like [!@#%^&^] to me and are easily seen for their at... I don't think this person has gotten any better at ruining coins...

as for the slabb'd coins, I suspect this person mixes in legit graded toners to help his other auctions seem authentic...

I've seen some of this person's auctions on ebay but have never examined one of his/her coins at hand, so, take this for what it is worth. My impression is that, unless the lighting of the images is way off, essentially all of the raw coins I have seen under this seller's name are AT and that the slabbed coins are likely either bought slabbed or are no problem coins sent in to mask the raw AT coins. Again, I have never examined these coins so the imaging might be a factor but my experience would tell me to be very wary.

Truth,

Here are a couple of Peace dollars:

Is it live?

and an other that is quite similar

Or is it Memorex?

These things are really getting around.

Um, it's the same auction in both links. confused.gif

That is a $300+ coin in a real slab. Of course we all know why it won't be in a real slab.

Truth,

Here are a couple of Peace dollars

Is it live?

and another that is quite similar

Or is it Memorex?

That second one is a no question AT. I think the seller is Russ (AH Kennedy guy).

At the last Long Beach show there was a seller of these. He wanted $20-$30 a piece for them. He had a couple stacks of them. I picked up a nice looking one for $30. I purchased it because it was an MS65. I don't know why they'd AT an MS65 Peace and sell it for $30, but they did. That AT is nothign a little Jeweluster can't fix. laugh.gif

One of the rumors going around was that a high grade buffalo nickel in the PCGS grading guide was AT'd by a well known doctor. I don't own the book, but was supposedly the example of "superb eye appeal". So, hey, if they look good and people like them, what's the difference? His level of expertise? Acceptance in the dealer community? I'd be more impressed if they made an example out of the big guy instead of a small fish. But that's not going to happen. Tonecoin is just an easy target IMO.

One of the rumors going around was that a high grade buffalo nickel in the PCGS grading guide was AT'd by a well known doctor. I don't own the book, but was supposedly the example of "superb eye appeal". So, hey, if they look good and people like them, what's the difference? His level of expertise? Acceptance in the dealer community? I'd be more impressed if they made an example out of the big guy instead of a small fish. But that's not going to happen. Tonecoin is just an easy target IMO.

That story has been going around a long time. While most people think it is true I just wonder why there aren't hundreds of Buffalos that look just like that if it is man made.

The guy sets up at Long Beach. Last show got to see some of his work. Some was good and some wasn't so go. He had a fair amount of coins in 3rd rate slabs that he was asking insane money for. However, he did have several coins in PCGS slabs that Braddick and I saw and we both thought they were AT.

While most people think it is true I just wonder why there aren't hundreds of Buffalos that look just like that if it is man made

I can think of two reasons right off the bat.: One, they'd be worth a lot less if there were more just like it (and he'd be more likely to get caught by a TPGS). Two, maybe he just got lucky on one of them. wink.gif

Still, they would produce more. Once they sold an AT coin like the buffalo mentioned they don't get more money off of it. It's worth their while to continue to AT buffalos and have people buy at insane prices until they flood the market and maximized their profit. Besides, there is never a shortage of holders available for these coins. Just not as often in PCGS/NGC/ANACS.

Truth,

Here are a couple of Peace dollars

Is it live?

and another that is quite similar

Or is it Memorex?

Greg, I remember that guy! Choose your color! Purple Peace dollars were popular but I liked that green one you bought (to dip and make right- no marks!). Whatever happened with that coin?

That second one is a no question AT. I think the seller is Russ (AH Kennedy guy).

At the last Long Beach show there was a seller of these. He wanted $20-$30 a piece for them. He had a couple stacks of them. I picked up a nice looking one for $30. I purchased it because it was an MS65. I don't know why they'd AT an MS65 Peace and sell it for $30, but they did. That AT is nothign a little Jeweluster can't fix. laugh.gif

Greg, I remember that guy! Choose your color! Purple Peace dollars were popular but I liked that green one you bought (to dip and make right- no marks!). Whatever happened with that coin?

Waiting to go in to being graded when I have some more economy submissions.

With Merc or Rossie dimes, I don't necessarily think that a white coin has been dipped. Many of these coins spent most of their years since issue in bank rolls. I have many Rossies that have really pristine white surfaces. I doubt that many of them were dipped. Particularly, since many of these coins that I have seen (before slabbing) have some toning on the reeding and not on the coin faces.

Here's a PCGS MS66 graded buffalo nickel that is reported to be AT. It sold for funny money in the Baltimore B&M auction. Caitlin was initially attracted to it, as it has an incredible strike, but she later heard it was AT and shied away from it. Can't blame her, as it's hard to know what may happen to the coin's surface over time. (See Attachment).

Hoot

258055-1914dms66.jpg.30f5c8457605dc475dc4a1cff40f802a.jpg