• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonecoin2003

36 posts in this topic

Don't know about the reverse but the obverse looks original to me. But then...what do I know? laugh.gif

EDIT: See attached 1915. Doesn't the obverse look similar?

Also, you should ask yourself: What was the purpose of the AT? Was it covering something up? If the coin is AT it doesn't look as if the coin is "prettier" because of it, IMO. In fact, you'd want to have it bright because of the great strike, no? My best guess is that this 14-S is fine.

jom

258069-5c-15p_small.jpg.cbca8aeea37a295bddf00ff8817a986b.jpg

The unusual thing about the 1914 is the green. I've seen that hue of green only on that specific coin. The evenness of the color is disturbing, as is the way the color "floats" on the surface. As for your 1915, it is unusually toned. The central amber color is tough to explain on the obverse without more of it at the periphery, as on the reverse. How does the coin look in person? Does the color look like it is part of the metallic matrix, or does it seem to be completely surficial? Tough call, but amber is much more commonly encountered in buffs, as is "PVC-green" (slime green), blues, violets and pinks. These colors are most often found at the periphery, but sometime occur in the central devices if they were in contact with tissue, cardboard, etc. One of the reasons that the reverses are more often unifomrly colored is that they laid against the paper backing of an album for years.

Hoot

Both of those Peace dollars are bad IMO.

You really have to know what you're looking at with toned Buffs, there is a slimy dealer in Chicago that specializes in AT'ing those, and there's a lot of them out there, and they will eventually 'turn' bad.

dragon

Oh, as far as tonecoin2003's coins go, they do now and always have looked like dogrockets to me, I think he just tweaks his pics better now.

dragon

That's the seller I posted several threads on months ago when his junk started appearing in NGC holders.

I bought a Morgan from him a while back and it looked JUST LIKE the picture. Clearly AT. The obv had the typical red & green color while the rev was reddish brown and looked ½ way "original."

I've never seen any of his work in PCGS holders but plenty in NGC holders. I haven't paid much attention lately but he seems to be using ICG & PCI a lot now.

Maybe NGC got wise to him. wink.gif

I have been collecting Peace Dollars for a little while (40 years) and have never seen an original that looked like Tonedcoin's. Also it seems that most of his are lower grade BU, common date.