• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC "EarlyBird" Service's Turnaround Time 1/3 Longer Than Advertised

36 posts in this topic

I joined NGC and utilized my so-called "free EarlyBird Coupon" to grade 5 ea. Morgan Dollars. At the time of my submission, the advertised Turnaround Time for this service (on the website http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp ) was 14 working days (versus the 12 working days that it's supposed to be). After waiting 14 days, I contacted NGC Customer Sevice and I got some excuse about graders being at the ANA Milwaukee show.

I finally got an e-mail notice yesterday that my coins had been shipped, after waiting 16 WORKING DAYS (33% longer than the EarlyBird Estimated Turnaround TIme of 12 days).

This morning (the day after my coins were shipped), I look at the NGC website http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp , and see that the EarlyBird "Current Turnaround Time" has been changed from 14 days down to 12 days! The REAL Turnaround Time is 16 Working Days (in on July 24th, out on August 15th). The coins in question are included in NGC Invoice Numbers 2518739 and 2518740.

I sent an e-mail back to NGC Customer Service to complain about their S-L-O-W service, with no reply.

What recourse (if any) do I have? Should NGC issue me a partial refund, additional "free" coupons, or what? Have others experienced excessively-long Turnaround Times?

The next time I submit some coins, I'm going to go with the $16 Economy rate (21 days' Turnaround Time) instead of the $30/coin EarlyBird rate (with its bogus 12-day Turnaround Time that's really 16 days). What would YOU do?

I believe that the posted turnaround times are estimates, not guarantees and they fluctuate form time time. Also, a number of NGC's graders were at the show in Milwaukee - if the turnaround times were slower as a result, that seems like a valid explanation/"excuse".

Edited to add:

Turnaround times are approximate and not guaranteed. Estimated turnaround begins on the day coins are received at NGC

I joined NGC and utilized my so-called "free EarlyBird Coupon" to grade 5 ea. Morgan Dollars. At the time of my submission, the advertised Turnaround Time for this service (on the website http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp ) was 14 working days (versus the 12 working days that it's supposed to be). After waiting 14 days, I contacted NGC Customer Sevice and I got some excuse about graders being at the ANA Milwaukee show.

I finally got an e-mail notice yesterday that my coins had been shipped, after waiting 16 WORKING DAYS (33% longer than the EarlyBird Estimated Turnaround TIme of 12 days).

This morning (the day after my coins were shipped), I look at the NGC website http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp , and see that the EarlyBird "Current Turnaround Time" has been changed from 14 days down to 12 days! The REAL Turnaround Time is 16 Working Days (in on July 24th, out on August 15th). The coins in question are included in NGC Invoice Numbers

2518739 and 2518740.

I sent an e-mail back to NGC Customer Service to complain about their S-L-O-W service, with no reply.

What recourse (if any) do I have? Should NGC issue me a partial refund, additional "free" coupons, or what? Have others experienced excessively-long Turnaround Times?

The next time I submit some coins, I'm going to go with the $16 Economy rate (21 days' Turnaround Time) instead of the $30/coin EarlyBird rate (with its bogus 12-day Turnaround Time that's really 16 days). What would YOU do?

Welcome to the boards. What are you in for? lol

:jokealert:

So what kind of grades did you get? Do you have images?

According to your post, at the time you submitted the coins, the estimated turnaround time was listed as 14 working days and it took 16 working days - only a two day difference.

In answer to your two questions:

"Have others experienced excessively-long Turnaround Times?". Certainly at one time or another, others have, but you did not experience one yourself.

"What would YOU do?" Not complain about the extra two days and enjoy the coins, instead.

Welcome Dluders. I agree with Mark here. ANA is a justifiable excuse and the times are not guaranteed also. Welcome to the forums. Guess you picked a bad week to submit. At least they are headed your way now!!

This morning (the day after my coins were shipped), I look at the NGC website http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp , and see that the EarlyBird "Current Turnaround Time" has been changed from 14 days down to 12 days! The REAL Turnaround Time is 16 Working Days (in on July 24th, out on August 15th). The coins in question are included in NGC Invoice Numbers 2518739 and 2518740.

Wow, what a problem to have.

Wow, what a problem to have.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Now here is a real problem.23_33_11.gif36_11_6.gif

Dluders what makes you think the Economy service will be only 21 days??? If the Early-Bird grading took longer I would bet the Economy would have taken longer as well!

Hi and welome (thumbs u

Is it not better that they spend some time looking and grading your coins correctly rather than rush them back out to you !!

To answer your question "what recource do you have?", the answer is none. As others have posted, these are estimates and not guarantees. Sometimes they are quick and sometimes they are not. I submitted about 30 coins at the June Long Beach Show, some Early Bird but most Economy. NGC had them all back to me in less than 3 weeks which less than it took PCGS to re-holder two of my coins.

Most everyone on this forum have felt the sting of impatience while waiting for the return of their first submission. Now that it is past for you and you have gotten your coins shipped. You now know the grades and obviously not upset about that so consider yourself lucky even with the two day delay caused by the ANA show. Next time you submit just send them in and when you get them back that's how long it took. Welcome to the forum. Send us some pics of your submissions so that we can enjoy them.

OK, so all of the respondents (so far) would do nothing. I'm just upset that I was lured into joining NGC with the promise of a 12-day EarlyBird coin turnaround, and ended up with a 16-day turnaround time. It's unethical (in my opinion) for NGC to advertise a 12-day turnaround time when it REALLY took 16 days (1/3 longer).

I know that NGC makes a lot of money catering to folks who want 1-day service at the ANA Milwaukee show, but my coins WERE in line first to be graded. NGC does supposedly have a first-in, first-out policy within each grading tier, but I know that this is hogwash.

Maybe I'll use PCGS next time.

OK, so all of the respondents (so far) would do nothing. I'm just upset that I was lured into joining NGC with the promise of a 12-day EarlyBird coin turnaround, and ended up with a 16-day turnaround time. It's unethical (in my opinion) for NGC to advertise a 12-day turnaround time when it REALLY took 16 days (1/3 longer).

I know that NGC makes a lot of money catering to folks who want 1-day service at the ANA Milwaukee show, but my coins WERE in line first to be graded. NGC does supposedly have a first-in, first-out policy within each grading tier, but I know that this is hogwash.

Maybe I'll use PCGS next time.

The fact that all of the respondents would do nothing should cause you to reassess your view about what happened. Also, as has been stated more than once in this thread, there was no "promise of a 12-day EarlyBird coin turnaround". You even stated that when you submitted your coins the estimated time was 14 days, not 12. Estimates are not promises or guarantees and NGC did nothing the least bit unethical. If you use PCGS you will be subject to their estimates too.

Estimates are not promises or guarantees and NGC did nothing the least bit unethical. If you use PCGS you will be subject to their estimates too.

Didn't you say that twice - hmmm - I guess I must be having a case of double hearing :)

I don't think anyone in these forums actually works for NGC, other than the obvious moderator, techie people. So while your welcome to blow-off steam, you may need to talk to their cust service, if you feel you deserve a refund or something.

What makes you think PCGS is any better, especially when one of the biggest events of the year is the same time as your submission.

Call the cust service line before you submit to either grading service if you feel, you need a firmer commitment on a date.

When I read the opening post, I thought this thread was meant to be humorous.

Oooops.......When I send out coins for certification, I take them to the post office, register the package, and, at a later date, they are returned to me completed. It's always worked for me.

Paul

It's unethical (in my opinion) for NGC to advertise a 12-day turnaround time when it REALLY took 16 days (1/3 longer).

I have a feeling you're not going to be very happy with TPGs in general if you feel that NGC's handling of this issue is unetical. There are much more worrisome practices than exceeding a time estimate hiding under the covers. If you have not already, do some reading on "gradeflation" and "blue indians" and "market acceptable". Respectfully submitted...Mike

Ho hum !!

try sending them from the UK !!!!!

longest in the post 11 days before they recived them 27 days until they were shipped and 7 days in the post back to the UK.. and only insured for £500 as thats the max in the uk (over $9000 worth of coins )

lol:insane:lol

Yep !!

just ask Burcewar how panicy i was sending the two coins over to photo for me :sick:

wcgm.jpg

and what about the lot i have sent for conservation (in the world coins section) what do you think the value of those 15 coins are !!!!!!!!!

you dont even have the recived information bit to see on the web site for conservation only option

:insane:

That's a beautiful coronation medal dooly......Very nice photo too Bruce.

Are you going to slab that medal ?

Paul

edited to add.......' This thread should be considered OFFICIALLY hijacked ' !

Here's the official reply I got from NGC Customer Service on Fri., Aug 17th. Note that they didn't address why my 5 Morgans took a 16-Day Turnaround Time (when their website said 12 Days). Their 12-Day "estimate" was REALLY 16 days; that's what I'm upset about -- "false advertising":

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Mr. Luders,

Thank you for your email and your posts on our chat boards. I do understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for the delay. As Andrea had mentioned in her previous email, our turn around times are estimated and change on a daily/weekly basis. The fact that our turn around time is estimated and not guaranteed is mentioned on our submission forms as well as our price sheets and web site. Once again, I apologize for the delay, but we do not refund or credit customers for turn around times.

From what I can tell we received your original email on the 13th of August and we replied on the 14th, I apologize if that is not satisfactory to you, we do get inundated with emails over the weekend, so at times it does require an additional day for us to reply. We always strive to reply as quickly as possible.

The coupon that you received as a benefit for becoming a paid member of the Collectors' Society is $150.00 value. Because one must have a membership in order to have submission privileges, the coupon is a great benefit. You had mentioned that you would have used our economy grading tier, our economy tier is for coins valued under $300.00 (minimum 5 coin submission), unfortunately that would not have been an option because 3 of 5 of your coins were valued over the maximum value for that tier.

Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you in the future.

Best regards,

Melissa Pearce

NGC Customer Service Manager

800-642-2646 x197

If the 12 days was an estimate, how can it be false advertising?
Mike, simply put, it wasn't false advertising, and it's a shame that "dluders" persists in incorrectly and unfairly categorizing it as such.