• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade x3 - NGC Certified - Revealed

19 posts in this topic

Here are three coins I sent to NGC to get graded, please provide your opinion of what they should have/did grade. Thanks in advance!

#1 1893-S Barber Half Dollar

1893S50cOBV.jpg

1893S50cREV.jpg

The yellow color in the shield on the reverse isn't very prominent and I don't believe that it is tape residue as it appears, I did not want to attempt to try to remove it.

#2 1885-P Morgan Silver Dollar

1885P1dOBV.jpg

1885P1dREV.jpg

The canvas pattern is subdued head on but really stands out, more so than in the picture, when tilted in light.

#3 1900-P Morgan Silver Dollar

1900P1dOBV.jpg

1900P1dREV.jpg

I like this one because I consider it to be a real original white coin, as in not really white but rather displaying a light original patina.

-Broc

The 1893-S Barber half is a VG10 and is a very tough coin in circulated, problem-free condition. It appears that there is a tiny bit of tape residue on the center of the shield on the reverse, but this should not preclude getting certified.

I'll play.

VG-10

AU-55

MS-63

I wouldn't be surprised if my Morgan guesses are a point low. In any case, all three are nice coins. I especially like the textile toning on the 1885.

I thought about letting the thread run longer but I think there is a healty amount of opinions to reveal NGC's grades for these coins.

#1 - VG-8 This coin is a solid VG-10. I knew it wouldn't hit F-12 but VG-8 is an insult!

#2 - MS-64 I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder. There are no heavy marks on the coin. The marks that are there are very light. If this was a more valuable coin I would resubmit it but to me its only worth one shot. I am not well versed in the 'toning premium' realm, I was wondering for those who are, what premium if any would be associated with this type of toning? I know its hard to tell from a picture, escpecially since this one is much richer in person than the picture lends.

#3 - MS-64 Same as the coin above I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder. There are no heavy marks and what is there is negligible. For both coins, I've seen and owned 65's in slightly 'worse' shape than these two.

Maybe its something that I am having a hard time seeing, but of the 4 Morgans I have sent to NGC only 1 has hit the grade I expected. The first one was a weakly struck O mint dollar. It came back MS-65, from a purely mark-on-coin perspective it was absolutely MS-67 so I figured MS-66 but NGC didn't think so. Now these two a grade point lower than I anticipated. The one that did hit right with me was a 65, although I was thinking shot-66 due to appeal. At this point it is alright, I am playing with lower value material to get a feel for the grading process, which I guess is a rough road considering any of the Morgans mentioned above if resubmitted could come back as I anticipated. If anyone is interested tomorrow I will post a picture of the weak strike dollar to see what you think. The pic isn't as good as the above and I don't own the coin any more, but I think what is there is still apparent. Thank you for your time!

-Broc

I think NGC got it right, X3.

The Barber is solid for a VG08. The rim denticles would need to be a tad stronger for a VG10, IMHO (especially so on the reverse).

The Morgans are slightly lacking in 'pop' (luster) for the GEM grade.

Nice coins and ones to be proud of. Instead of barely made it MS65's you own quality MS64s.

#1 - VG-8 This coin is a solid VG-10. I knew it wouldn't hit F-12 but VG-8 is an insult!

#2 - MS-64 I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder.

#3 - MS-64 Same as the coin above I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder.

-Broc

Ownership adds a point.

#2 - MS-64 I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder.

#3 - MS-64 Same as the coin above I think this coin belongs in a 65 holder.

-Broc

Ownership adds a point.

;):headbang: