• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Original Capped Bust Halves

45 posts in this topic

In brief, the story about these coins is that they were owned by Brad, an NGC/PCGS poster and also member of the BHNC. Before he put these up for auction, and they came into my possession, he purchased them from Chuck Erb in 1999, and some time before that, Chuck Erb (also a membr of the BHNC) cherry picked them in a probate sale in Western Pennsylvania, which involved the contents of a safe that had apparently remained unopened since the time of the Civil War. I figured it would be a real privilege to keep the three together, and I was fortunate enough to win all three in auction.

So, this is the 1822, and this is what an entirely unfooled with Bust Half looks like.

The luster is softened by the patination, but it is easy to see and cartwheel.

42022-1822obverse.JPG.3bd44b7f2202766457e0ee518d3aff3e.JPG

42023-1822reverse.JPG.78fa37341c81e612e3ebe22efee0c4dc.JPG

Awesome Mike! Thanks for sharing, I would get my Overton book out and try to attribute them, but I was out doing yard work in the sun all day and now my head hurts! Perhaps tomorrow.

Mike,

Those are truly a beautiful set of halves. It is great that you were able to acquire all three. The originality of the coins is tremendous.

Rey

For anyone learning about lettered edge coins, note the color of the recesses of the edge letters, and that it matches the color of the coin. Next time you think a coin is original, check the recesses. When coins are cleaned, no one seems to remember to clean the edge lettering.

ghostimageII.jpg

Stunning trio of Busties MikeKing. I have a question, the D in UNITED appears to have ghost lettering, is this in the image or on the coin?

If it is on the coin, I have seen this on other old silver coins that have not moved in many, many years...like it sat tails down on something or stacked on another coin.

Just an observation.

For anyone learning about lettered edge coins, note the color of the recesses of the edge letters, and that it matches the color of the coin. Next time you think a coin is original, check the recesses. When coins are cleaned, no one seems to remember to clean the edge lettering.

SlumLord98 is the prior owner of these coins.

(worship) (worship) (worship) to the Chief

Nice pick ups, very nice indeed. I can now clearly see what TomB was telling me regarding my 1824 having been dipped at some point. Very nice coins.

ghostimageII.jpg

Stunning trio of Busties MikeKing. I have a question, the D in UNITED appears to have ghost lettering, is this in the image or on the coin?

If it is on the coin, I have seen this on other old silver coins that have not moved in many, many years...like it sat tails down on something or stacked on another coin.

Just an observation.

good observation

that is 'ghost lettering', I just looked at it with a glass and the toning took the shape of the D, whether that's carbon deposit or oxidation product, I don't know.

thanks for your input about the stacking.

It's nice to see that you kept the three pieces together. Perhaps coin karma will reward you. hm

does that mean there's a chance in hell that I might get your 1815/2 Bust Half???