• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A really bad day of coin collecting today for me

19 posts in this topic

A couple years ago I met a man named Dennis who is a coin collector. There's a coin show in scottsdale I go every month. Most of the time my parents took me, but he said he'd take me since he was going that way. So several times, he took me to the coin show. He gave me coins to sell on ebay and then we'd split the profits of it 50/50. Well I emailed him if he was going to the coin show today and he said he is but is not bringing me with him. He said is not interested in being my friend anymore and "doesn't have room for me" because they moved the back room so he has to share a table with someone else. He was pretty blunt about it all and as since he's my only coin friend I know I'm deeply upset about this. I have no way of going to the coin show but he thinks I'm not interested in coins anymore so thats why he won't take me. The coin show is where I bought many of my coins, including my 1904 PCGS MS62 $20 liberty.

I really can't believe this is all happening and am very upset i lost a good friend. Thank god for this forum so I can always talk about coins when its on my mind, and learn from the good members and FRIENDS that I have on this forum, like munkyman and ant.

I just wanted to say thank you all for the great forum, and even if I might've lost one friend, I still have a whole board full of great people who are great friends and always willing to help.

PS: Also thanks to conder101 who has the patience of, no one else I know. This man also has the psychological knowledge of a psychologist, and is a great friend.

That is a real shame. Did your friend give you a reason for his remarks about not being interested in not being your friend anymore? It sounds like something else is going on. Is it possible that you said something to him that he might have taken the wrong way. I really hope you can work it out. If I lived in Scottsdale I would have been delighted to have someone to go with. Good luck on this. Meanwhile, you have plenty of friends here that are more than happy to talk to you. (thumbs u

That is a real shame. Did your friend give you a reason for his remarks about not being interested in not being your friend anymore? It sounds like something else is going on. Is it possible that you said something to him that he might have taken the wrong way. I really hope you can work it out. If I lived in Scottsdale I would have been delighted to have someone to go with. Good luck on this. Meanwhile, you have plenty of friends here that are more than happy to talk to you. (thumbs u

One time at one of the coin shows I went to with him, he said "Do you have your ducks in a row?" I said yes and he took me. But he was upset with me when I went with him. He didn't tell me though. He said I'm a master of manipulation (I'll be honest I can be manipulative) and that I didn't seem interested in the coins. I told him on the phone today that I didn't understand how I wasn't being interested in coins with him anymore he said it kinda "died out" in me he told me "You honestly don't know how your'e not interested in coins anymore?" He might've been talking about the coins on ebay he gave me for to sell but he didn't mention that. I should've sold them by now but I haven't because frankly I was too lazy to list them. So I guess he may be right, but I'm still upset as he won't send me email forwards like he used to and he geniunely seems he doesn't want to talk with me anymore.

Kick him to the curb.

If you need a ride, sell one of your double eagles, and buy yourself a cheap car. You'd only need it occasionally. Check the classified ads!

It might be time to apologize to him and tell him that you just got lazy. You are obviously interested in coins, otherwise you wouldn't be spending time here. You can be interested in coins and still have interests in other activities. He should know how you feel and hopefully not take the apology and your explanation as a way to manipulate a ride.

Bob

He might've been talking about the coins on ebay he gave me for to sell but he didn't mention that. I should've sold them by now but I haven't because frankly I was too lazy to list them.

If I gave some coins to someone to sell as part of a deal (50/50 profit), I might feel a little betrayed if they didn't do anything with my coins and I didn't hear from them until they needed a ride to a show.

I'm sure hope I'm way off track here, but it sounds like a misunderstanding in which you actually hurt his feelings first.

Hope it works out for you both!

I go to the Scottsdale monthly show every so often (the one at the Elks lodge, right?). PM me next time you're going, and i'll buy you and soda and we'll talk coins while we're there. IF he's there, i'll introduce to to Anthony (Tony) Tumonis. He ran for ANA Govenor this year (but unfortunely came up short in the vote tally). Tony is super intelligent about coins, and as honest a person as you'll ever meet. He seems to be there often.

see ya

Doug

I go to the Scottsdale monthly show every so often (the one at the Elks lodge, right?). PM me next time you're going, and i'll buy you and soda and we'll talk coins while we're there. IF he's there, i'll introduce to to Anthony (Tony) Tumonis. He ran for ANA Govenor this year (but unfortunely came up short in the vote tally). Tony is super intelligent about coins, and as honest a person as you'll ever meet. He seems to be there often.

see ya

Doug

yes thats right. I won't be going this month though.

Doogy didn't offer him a ride, he offered to meet with him and talk coins at the show the next time he attends. Just as many of us do when we arrange a get together at a show.

Stinky, I think xjack nailed the problem. You accepted coins to resell as part of a business deal and then just sat on them. You disappointed him, and probably made him think you had lost interest. He may have, an may still, think you have ripped him off for the coins. That is one of the things he meant when he asked if you had your ducks in a row. Do you have your act together?, can you be counted on to follow through with your responsibilities? You told him yes, and then didn't follow through.

I agree with Conder here stinky. Friends are people we can count on. If you agree to do something for a friend or vice versa, that needs to be followed thru.

"You honestly don't know how your'e not interested in coins anymore?" He might've been talking about the coins on ebay he gave me for to sell but he didn't mention that. I should've sold them by now but I haven't because frankly I was too lazy to list them. .

Without knowing the value of the ebay consignment I would guess you have let your friend down because you "were too lazy" If he has been kind enough to take you to the shows but you haven't reciprocated then I can understand him putting some distance between you. Have you put the coins up yet? Perhaps get them sold and give him his share with a "late fee" bonus. It takes a friend to be a friend and it sounds like perhaps you weren't pulling your weight. Best of luck :wishluck:

Thanks for the positive replies everyone. Conder101, yes I agree with you, I should've been more proactive. I was just too lazy. For example, some of the coins were raw, my friend put the doubled die number on them, for me to look up in The Kennedy Half Dollar Book, and then to use my computer microscope to photographp the PUP(pick up point) certain areas of the coin.

I see we have GoldCoinLover here........perhaps some know him by this handle from CU. Strange kid, very strange.

That's old news. And Stinky introduced himself as such quite a while back. Strange? Such is relative. He's making an effort to be productive.