• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-startrd collecting coins more than 3 years ago and...

11 posts in this topic

I still don't know what the difference between "slight wear" and "rub/friction" confused.gif

A coin with slight wear is AU while a coin with rub is low MS?? confused.gif

Can someone enlighten me?

Also, I would like to know when I shoud use this sumo.gif icon wink.gif

I feel your confusion, and I still don't really understand the technical difference between light wear and rub/friction. To me it seems more like a mere justification for market grading a more attractive coin as low MS, when technically it's an AU coin.

As for the little icon guy, they seem to add them faster than I can comprehend them. Like this one: insane.gif What's that guy's problem? Or this one: thumbsup2.gif Is this guy suffocating? Why is he blue??? What about this guy: tonofbricks.gif Man that looks like it would hurt! How about the man behind the curtain: shy.gif What's that all about? And I can't even begin to figure out what's going on with the blue angel: sorry.gif I'm sure there will be even more tomorrow though, so go ahead and use them whenever it seems right, I doubt anyone would mind.

There is no difference between friction and a rub. Both are strictly AU. "Commercial grading" has blurred this distinction, where there is no distinction. There, however, is a difference between a luster break and wear. Most MS coins have a luster break somewhere on the surface.

sumo.gif

I think this guy is putting his foot down. Or maybe he's getting ready to try to toss you out of the ring.

Rub is light wear. Frequently though it does look like the kind of wear that a coin would get from sitting on a smooth surface for many years and getting some vibration. Collectors are generally a little more tolerant of this type of wear.

The best way I can explain it is that "slight wear" would be just that... a coin that was made AU by slight circulation, while "rub" would be the slightest amount of wear caused by how a coin is stored (i.e. albums with sliding panels).

man behind the curtain:
I think I learned something today acclaim.gif....I never thought it was curtain until your post flowerred.gif

So AU58 with eye appeal often gets into MS slab and with so so eye appeal remain in AU slab?

I couldn't help posting this thread after I saw this quarter from upcoming Heritage sale link It's graded MS62........ confused-smiley-013.gif......it may be just because of picture but I see wear/rub/friction/whatever from the image devil.gif Is it graded MS because it has eye appeal? thumbsup2.gif Sorry for using icons in wrong way shy.gif

The best way I can explain it is that "slight wear" would be just that... a coin that was made AU by slight circulation, while "rub" would be the slightest amount of wear caused by how a coin is stored

Is there any good way to tell the difference?

I still don't know what the difference between "slight wear" and "rub/friction" confused.gif

A coin with slight wear is AU while a coin with rub is low MS?? confused.gif

Can someone enlighten me?

I think what you are thinking of is "cabinet friction" or "Cabinet rub". Many years ago coins were frequently stored in drawers and when they were to be admired the drawer would be opened and the coin would slide on the fabric lining the drawer. The coin technically did not circulate, but it does show some disturbances on the very high points.

Also, there is "roll rub" which is just like it sounds. The coin rubbed against another coin in a roll.

A typical AU coin is one that has light circulation.

Frequently the difference can be seen in the flat areas of the coin. On an AU coin those fields might show some minor disturbances. On a cabinet friction coin those flat points will be more prestine.

At least that is my version of it. sumo.gif

On an AU coin those fields might show some minor disturbances. On a cabinet friction coin those flat points will be more prestine.

I see....so cabinet friction coin is more clean and that's why they are often graded as MS, right? I think I understood flowerred.gif