• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loss coin claim

7 posts in this topic

hello all.

got a question. if i sent a coin to a tpg and i insured it for 1000 dollars and the tpg never received it what would or should i do?

do i contact the post office,tell them of my dilemma and expect them to pay me the money? or would i get some reply such as,'sir we will need proof the item is worth what you claim it's worth'. what do i do now? the coin has been in my collection for 40 years and i don't have any receipt so what would happen? what would you guys (and gals) do in this case? should i have photographed the coin and had it notarized with a dealers signature for proof or what? this is a hypothetical situation but i really would like to know what to do if this scenario ever happened? please share your thoughts and thank you!

steve

The coin should have been sent registered mail to the TPG. Was this done. If so, the USPS should be able to track this package. Of course, if you don't have the receipt (one should keep any receipt for shipment of any type until received), you may have a problem.

i have had "them" loose a coin before but i had used delivery confirmation. so i told them and gave them that number and they finaly found. i now only use overnight and send in like 10-20 coins at time.the money for the overnight is worth knowing they will have next day(even if the usps told me its a second day it always gets there next day).

your insurance tag has a number on it. give that number to them that is also a reciept!!!!!!!and believe me when i say when you have a high insurance cost they will hunt the package down with hounds :P

you used insurance! good! keep the lil tag they give you along with the long reciept and keep for a month.i have file cabnet just for these thing.most the time they are in till the first of the next month but if i get feedback or look the numbers up and they have been delivered i will print out the confirmation that it has been delivered to new hands. staple them together and hold! if im not sure of the person sent to or it has a return polocy on it i will hold for 30 days after they recieve.

Halfpint said "if this were to happen, what do I do."

Sorry I don't know the answer. I bet you could find it with a little research on USPS's web site.

how many days has it been since you sent? i beleive there is a 60 day waiting period before you can post claim.but if you have the tag from the insurance you can look it up yourself on usps.com.

hello all.

got a question. if i sent a coin to a tpg and i insured it for 1000 dollars and the tpg never received it what would or should i do?

do i contact the post office,tell them of my dilemma and expect them to pay me the money? or would i get some reply such as,'sir we will need proof the item is worth what you claim it's worth'. what do i do now? the coin has been in my collection for 40 years and i don't have any receipt so what would happen? what would you guys (and gals) do in this case? should i have photographed the coin and had it notarized with a dealers signature for proof or what? this is a hypothetical situation but i really would like to know what to do if this scenario ever happened? please share your thoughts and thank you!

steve

1) If you feel the item is lost, after you call the TPG to confirm it has not arrived, contact your local Post Office and see if they can find it. Frequently it can be found and is sitting in some PO waiting for delivery.

You cannot file an insurance claim before 21 days. I believe it is 14 days for Registered Mail.

2) You will need to provide proof of value to the company issuing the insurance. In this case it would be the USPS. For smaller value items this might not be the case, but for anything of real value, expect to be required to provide value.

Based on my personal experience and what I've been told by people I believe are accurate, you can use:

• eBay auction printout
  • Dealer invoice
  • Letter from a dealer declaring the value of the item.

Keep in mind that you'll get 5 different answers from 5 different postal employees about what you can use. Just keep asking other people until you get the answer you want.