• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CC Mint Press # 1 History and The Start of a New Set

9 posts in this topic

I have begun looking for coins, commemoratives, and medals related to railroads, railways, etc. due to the fact that my father was also a lover of trains and their history. During his services last week, a train passed blowing it's horn twice, that is where I came up with the idea to put together a sub-collection related to trains.

My first acquisition was last night and was the perfect one to start this new sub-set. I think you will agree after reading the historical information below.

The piece is a 1 troy ounce, .999 fine silver proof commemorative medallion which commerates the 125 anniversary of the Railroad's first spike ceremony in Carson City, Nevada on Sept 28, 1869. This coin was struck on coin press number 1 at the former U.S. Branch of the mint in Carson City, Nevada, and contains the famous CC mint mark. The mint building is now used to house the Nevada State Museum. The obverse of the medallion has an image of a famous Virginia and Truckee railroad steam locomotive. The reverse has an image of mint press #1 of the Carson City Mint. The medal is a brillant proof and has fractional amount of even toning, and two tiny nicks on the reeded edge. (Seller's Images Below-will post better ones later)

More about the Railroad:

The significance of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad is undoubtedly the most famous short train line in Western History. Part of the line's fame stems from it's romantic beginnings as a bonanza railroad serving Nevada's rich Comstock Load, but much of the line's latter-day appeal can be attributed to the classic equipment it operated. The Virginia and Truckee Railroad became known as the only railroad ever to carry its entire weight of locomotives, track, and equipment in silver!

More about CC Mint Press #1

Manufactured by Morgan & Orr in Philadelphia, who created many of the steam-powered coining presses then in use throughout the world, the first six-ton press arrived at the Carson Mint in 1869. As was the custom of the day, it was painted with a large "1" to signify the first press located in the coiner's department. On February 11, 1870, this press struck the first coin bearing the soon-to-be-famous CC mintmark, a Seated Liberty dollar. For nearly a quarter of a century it was used to strike most of the larger denomination pieces produced during the years the mint actually produced coins, from 1870 to 1885 and again from 1889 to 1893.

The Railroad and Mint Press Connection:

When the press suffered a cracked arch in 1878, it was repaired at the local shop of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Proud of their, handiwork, V&T machinists replaced the original brass Morgan & Orr plate with one bearing the name of their famous railroad. Coin Press No. 1 is currently being operated and maintained by museum volunteers. Under their supervision, the press is still minting commemorative coins the last Friday of each month. Since Morgan & Orr presses manufactured in the 1860s and 1870s are harder to find all the time, Carson City’s press No. 1 may well be one of the last operating presses from that time period.

I couldn't have asked for a better first piece for this set.

Rey

CCRailroadObv.jpg

CCRailroadRev.jpg

I have begun looking for coins, commemoratives, and medals related to railroads, railways, etc. due to the fact that my father was also a lover of trains and their history. During his services last week, a train passed blowing it's horn twice, that is where I came up with the idea to put together a sub-collection related to trains.

Great Story Rey. You never know when the bulb is going to flash and inspire you with a great idea for a new direction. And what a great start. (thumbs u

That's some very cool info there Rey. That's also a very nice Commemorative anniversary coin!!
I agree and If I come across anything I will be sure to pass the info along to you..

That's a good start for what should be a very interesting collection, Rey. From time to time, I come across medals that pertain to the railroads. If I see any more in the future, I'll be sure to pass the information along to you.

Chris

Here are images of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad Commemorative minted on the CC #1 Press, talked about in the original post.

Rey

VirginiaTrukeeCCObv2.jpg

VirginiaTrukeeCCRev2.jpg

That's a great start Rey. I have some Union Pacific medals some where from back in my earlier days with them. I'll will try to find them and send you one. (thumbs u