• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading This 1916 "Mercury" Dime

25 posts in this topic

I am interested to hear how others would grade this 1916 Liberty Head (Mercury) Dime based on these images. Please include your reasoning behind your thoughts and opinions on how you came to your decision.

Thanks,

Rey

1916LibertyHeadMercuryObv.jpg

1916LibertyHeadMercuryRev.jpg

The image is overexposed so it's hard to really hazard a guess. I see some minor dullness in spots which leads me to think AU-58.

Rey, there is no way to tell from those images, but my guess is MS64FB. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if, seeing it in hand, I graded it as low as AU58.

I'll give this a go, Rey.

The obverse-at first glance there appears to be wear on the upper leading edge of Mercury's wing and at the lower hair device over the caps ear flap.

The reverse-it would appear that wear shows over the lower crossing band device. Upon closer inspection, it would appear that this was caused by a deteriorating die that also filled the lower area beside the olive branch base with die chips and a little above this area. I feel the obverse has also been subjected to a worn die causing the appearance of wear on Mercury's head.

I would grade this coin at MS65 FB. JMO.

Nice coin Rey.

I'm sorry Rey, it looks like it has some post-mint damage. Somebody has removed the "D", otherwise I would give it MS 64FSB. (thumbs u

My apologies first of all for the poor quality of the images. I do not have my normal environment here. Here are two more hopefully a little more revealing.

Thank you for all of the responses. This coin came back from NGC as improperly cleaned. I had sent it in only for reference purposes and never imagined it would get BB'd. There are no hairlines or wipe marks anywhere that I have found so my assumption is they believe it was dipped at some point. Do these new images show any evidence of that to anyone.

Maybe Bob is correct in that someone removed the D and the grader just checked the wrong box indicating improper cleaning as opposed to damaged/altered. (just kidding of course)

Again, sorry for the images, I realize it is not easy to give good answers with bad images.

Rey

1916Obv-1.jpg

1916Rev-1.jpg

Far better photos, Rey, which obviously shows my error in the filled area on the reverse. Nonexistent with these photos. I still think a worn die, not circulation wear is evident. As to a previous cleaning, I see no evidence of this, but I am certainly not the one to make such a call. Good luck, sorry the coin was BB'd. As i have ranted many times, it would seem prudent for the TPG's to inform one as to the reason for a BB'd coin to the degree that it would help them(or quit charging full fees). JMO

World colonial, please elaborate.

My original purpose of this post was to educate not only myself but others. How does toning on the edges possibly indicate dipping?

Thanks,

Rey

Toning on the edges is normal "book" tone

I however have a problem with the cheek areas as they look TOO smooth more like thumbing to remove some sort of mark there thus smoothing down the surface

my 2c

Nice pics Rey

My apologies first of all for the poor quality of the images. I do not have my normal environment here. Here are two more hopefully a little more revealing.

Thank you for all of the responses. This coin came back from NGC as improperly cleaned. I had sent it in only for reference purposes and never imagined it would get BB'd. There are no hairlines or wipe marks anywhere that I have found so my assumption is they believe it was dipped at some point. Do these new images show any evidence of that to anyone.

Maybe Bob is correct in that someone removed the D and the grader just checked the wrong box indicating improper cleaning as opposed to damaged/altered. (just kidding of course)

Again, sorry for the images, I realize it is not easy to give good answers with bad images.

Rey

1916Obv-1.jpg

1916Rev-1.jpg

Rey, the grading companies often grade dipped coins and sometimes assign very high grades to them. When they body-bag a coin for "improper cleaning", I believe they are usually (though not always) distinguishing the coin as not merely having been dipped, but rather cleaned in some other/more severe fashion. If accurate, your second set of images appears to show a fairly even, unnatural sheen to the coin and my guess is that the cleaning is over most of the surfaces. An original 1916 Mercury Dime does not typically have that type of look/fabric to it.

Below are images of a PCGS MS68FB example. Even on a high grade one such as it, the surfaces display more of a satiny or frosty appearance and are not shiny like yours.

482089.jpg482732.jpg

shortcircuit16.jpg "I am standing here beside myself."

Rey- I have no idea why this one was returned "improperly cleaned" other than it does have that look of overall muted mint luster (not missing entirely, just muted)

Now you can confidently submit to ANACS and still use this Merc as a reference. This one will definetly make a great conversation coin, tape the grade, let'em look and then be surprized as the grade is revealed.

Note: Fisher Stevens as Ben Jabitya

movie: Short Circuit

I like this Merc Rey, but it does seem to have maybe an old over-dipped look to it. If not that, then rubbed to cover something.

I think this is a very attractive coin which I would not hesitate to add to my collection. My minimum grade is MS64 FSB (thumbs u

i dont know about the cleaning,but the coin is wonderfull!!!!!!!!

from the picks it looks to be full split bands :)

very nice!!!

Actually, I have no idea if the coin is dipped. I have never tried to dip a coin myself but have heard that if it is done and not rinsed properly, the residue will cause this type of toning. I'll defer to Mark's opinion that your coin has not been dipped.

Actually, I have no idea if the coin is dipped. I have never tried to dip a coin myself but have heard that if it is done and not rinsed properly, the residue will cause this type of toning. I'll defer to Mark's opinion that your coin has not been dipped.
While I appreciate the thought, without seeing the coin in hand, I can't be certain whether it's been dipped or cleaned by other means. I can only guess, based upon the images, without even knowing how accurate or inaccurate both sets are.

Thanks for all of the input and comments. I can definitely see the difference in appearance with the one you posted Mark.

Thanks,

Rey