• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS: Same company - Different policies

6 posts in this topic

I decided to return a coin that I had purchased. It had been sent to me via registered mail in a padded mailer. So, I repacked the coin, put it in a padded mailer, added the required reinforcing tape and the address labels. On Tuesday, I took it to the post office. I completed the insurance form, the clerk weighed the package, applied the postage & registered mail stickers and stamped all of the edges of the reinforcing tape. Then he said, "Wait a minute! You can't ship this via registered mail in a padded mailer. The inspectors will just send it back." I asked him why it was allowed to be sent to me in a padded mailer if that is the case. He replied that he couldn't speak for the employees in New Jersey.

Oh, I see! The USPS of New Jersey and the USPS of Florida are separate entities. In that case, why didn't the Florida entity return it to the New Jersey entity and tell them to get with the program? hm

Has anyone else had this problem?

Chris :pullhair:

The employees in New Jersey did make a mistake. You cannot send registered mail in a padded envelope.

That is a fact !!

Paul

I have experienced the same difference at two different Post Offices in Virginia less than 5 miles apart. One allowed padded envelopes at first and the other did not, now they both do not, which is the "official" USPS policy.

Rey

The folks in New Jersey were wrong. According to the Domestic Mail Manual in Section 503 under Subsection 2.2.4, Ineligible Matter, says:

[font:Courier New]Registration may not be obtained for mail that is handled as follows:

. . .

f. Presented for mailing in a padded envelope; envelope or mailer manufactured of spun-bonded olefin, such as Tyvek; plastic envelope or mailer; or envelope or mailer made of glossy-coated paper. [/font]

When all else fails, a search of the USPS website will tell you what you need to know about the US Postal Service.

Scott :hi:

The padded mailer rules are very old and when from they were manufactured differently. While the rule still applies, most of the PO employees know to ignore the rule and accept the mailer.