• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Sellers: Please Help Us Buyers And Note The Following

33 posts in this topic

Please have a clear and concise terms of sale and return policy.

I'm lazy. I don't want to read two pages of terms and conditions to find out you don't take returns. I don't want to go to another page to find out you were hiding your 25% restocking fee. I don't want to have to read about how you are not a professional grader, how your wife divorced you, how shipping costs have gone up recently, or how this coin is so much better than the rest. Shut the hell up and tell me what I want to know -- what's the shipping price, what is the return policy, and what are the payment terms. Anything more is an opportunity for you to lie.

Please be responsive to questions, no matter how stupid they may be.

I'm stupid. I don't know everything there is about eBay. I'm not sure what the impact of your different shipping options may affect how fast or expensive my package will be. I often don't make decisions on a coin until the last minute. I might even want to get around the import taxes in my country. As dumb as I may be, I still deserve to be treated with the respect a customer deserves, after all I am paying you.

Please tell me exactly when I can expect shipment, and update me with tracking information once shipped (if applicable).

I'm impatient. I can't wait until my package arrives. I have spent hours fantasizing over how awesome my NEWP is going to be once it is in my hand, and I want it here yesterday! When I pay you for an item, please tell me exactly when you will be shipping it and by what method (if it is unclear). Don't take payment and ship it a week later. Don't say you'll ship it on Monday, and do it Thursday, and "forget" to send me the tracking number. Be proactive and feed my impatience with accurate information, and the number of dumb questions I ask will decrease.

Please take good photographs.

I'm not trusting. I like to see what I'm buying before I buy it. I don't want small or out-of-focus pictures that hide problems hoping to snare the bottom feeder. I don't want over-saturated or enhanced photographs hoping I don't return the coin despite the misrepresentations made in the sale. Just take an honest photograph large enough for me to judge the quality of the coin before I risk tying up my collecting funds to find out.

Please correct any mistakes I made in my PayPal address field. :baiting: Remember, I'm human and make mistakes.

I'm not perfect. I'm just a customer who buys occassionally on eBay, it is not my source of income nor the center of my universe, so how the hell would I know that your merchant software checks with the PO, and even if I did, why didn't you tell me this during the process of taking my money that your standards are better than those of your payment company, or just shut the hell up and correct my damn mistake?

Have I missed any? What are your eBay seller pet peeves?

All done in good fun...Mike

edited as noted in itallics

I always hate it when the item description tells you not to use the ebay check-out system. Hello? It's eBay. Why can't I check out through ebay? It makes me suspicious and I haven't yet bought from someone that didn't want to use eBay for checkout.

Please tell me exactly when I can expect shipment, and update me with tracking information once shipped.

In addition, I'd like to know where my item is being shipped from. Some sellers, instead of putting a city and state in that particular field, will put "FAST SHIPPING" or "POWERSELLER USA." That gets annoying after a while.

Agree 100%

Sorry, but don't have time for stupid questions. While it may cost some business, it's probably not business you want.

Serious question I got a few weeks ago: If I win this coin, how do I know you won't just send me a picture of it instead of the actual coin? This was not a joke by a forum member. Now is this a question a seller should answer or is it a buyer that should be blocked from bidding?

I'm stupid.

My new sig line quote for MikeinFL. :baiting:

Please tell me exactly when I can expect shipment, and update me with tracking information once shipped.

1) It'll be shipped within 7 days per eBay rules.

2) Why do you assume there is a tracking number?

3) You can't track with a tracking number.

When I pay you for an item, please tell me exactly when you will be shipping it and by what method. Don't take payment and ship it a week later. Don't say you'll ship it on Monday, and do it Thursday, and "forget" to send me the tracking number. Be proactive and feed my impatience with accurate information, and the number of dumb questions I ask will decrease.

What method? Pony Express .

What makes you think you deserve shipment before a week? Just because you paid fast doesn't mean it ships fast. You need to check for the eBay symbol indicating 1-day shipment if you want it that fast.

Please correct any mistakes I made in my PayPal address field. :baiting: Remember, I'm human and make mistakes.

Why should a seller correct YOUR address. They don't live there. Correct your own damn address! What makes you so special that you think hundreds of sellers should correct something for you rather than you correct it yourself just once?

I'm lazy. I don't want to read two pages of terms and conditions to find out you don't take returns. I don't want to go to another page to find out you were hiding your 25% restocking fee. I don't want to have to read about how you are not a professional grader, how your wife divorced you, how shipping costs have gone up recently, or how this coin is so much better than the rest. Shut the hell up and tell me what I want to know -- what's the shipping price, what is the return policy, and what are the payment terms. Anything more is just an opportunity to lie.

Even when there is a return policy in the posting and in the eBay designated area, buyers do not read it. Check any of the active listing for user having-fun (that's me) and tell me whether it's appropriate in your terms.

I'm stupid. I don't know everything there is about eBay. I'm not sure what the impact of your different shipping options may affect how fast or expensive my package will be. I often don't make decisions on a coin until the last minute. I might even want to get around the import taxes in my country. As dumb as I may be, I still deserve to be treated with the respect a customer deserves, after all I am paying you.

Asking question is not a problem. Asking questions that are answered in the posting is a problem. Don't ask me if I take returns when I outline the return policy in my program. And don't ask me to do anything illegal, like getting around taxes or duties. I am not going to do anything illegal and it is against eBay's policies to even ask me to do something illegal.

I'm impatient. I can't wait until my package arrives. I have spent hours fantasizing over how awesome my NEWP is going to be once it is in my hand. When I pay you for an item, please tell me exactly when you will be shipping it and by what method. Don't take payment and ship it a week later. Don't say you'll ship it on Monday, and do it Thursday, and "forget" to send me the tracking number. Be proactive and feed my impatience with accurate information, and the number of dumb questions I ask will decrease.

Not every package gets a tracking number and the tracking numbers from the US Postal Service are nearly useless. As a citizen of the US and a customer of the USPS, you should know this. If not, I can't help that. And if you have spam filtering and do not get my emails, then I cannot help you. Don't blame me if your spam filters blocked my messages.

Please take good photographs.

I like to see what I'm buying before I buy it. I don't want small or out-of-focus pictures that hide problems hoping to snare the bottom feeder. I don't want over-saturated or enhanced photographs hoping I don't return the coin despite the misrepresentations made in the sale. Just take an honest photograph large enough for me to judge the quality of the coin before I risk tying up my collecting funds to find out.

If you don't like my pictures, ask if I can create another one. Sometimes, bad pictures are not the result of intentional deceit, sometimes they are just bad pictures that are available at the momet. If you don't like the pictures or I cannot find the time between working full time, writing articles, and taking care of my family, then don't buy the coin.

I'm just a customer who buys occassionally on eBay, it is not my source of income nor the center of my universe, so how the hell would I know that your merchant software checks with the PO, and even if I did, why didn't you tell me this during the process of taking my money that your standards are better than those of your payment company, or just shut the hell up and correct my damn mistake?

How about correcting your mistakes. I have written buyers about this and was told where to go and how far to jump when I got there. If you can't give me an proper address, then you deserve to have your package delayed.

Have I missed any? What are your eBay seller pet peeves?

How about being polite. Don't write to me and demand answers. Don't write to me and demand I do anything. Just like you want me to be considerate to you, I want to be treated with basic respect. Don't like it? Don't buy it!

Considering the language used, I am not amused. :sumo:

Scott :hi:

Sorry, but don't have time for stupid questions. While it may cost some business, it's probably not business you want.

Serious question I got a few weeks ago: If I win this coin, how do I know you won't just send me a picture of it instead of the actual coin? This was not a joke by a forum member. Now is this a question a seller should answer or is it a buyer that should be blocked from bidding?

Judging by the vast number of scams and other shenanigans that occur on eBay, it is not an unreasonable question to ask, particularly from someone new to eBay -- and we were all new once...or perhaps he just missed the term where you say "the coin pictured is the one you will receive".

But even if it weren't a reasonable question, yes, you should answer it. If it is not a joke, and it is a honest question, why not answer it and gain a bidder rather than be judgemental and/or rude in your response. You could win a customer for life, and at worst you could lose the 10 seconds it would take to extend an honest answer to an honest question, potentially saving the next seller the 10 seconds it takes to read this buyer asking the same question again because you took the easy way out. The bottom line is that rudeness should not be the response to ignorance when you are selling something -- it is shortsighted.

1) It'll be shipped within 7 days per eBay rules.

2) Why do you assume there is a tracking number?

3) You can't track with a tracking number.

I'm impatient -- we've already established that, so please try and keep up. :baiting: I want my stuff mailed the next business day after I pay you, slacker, and I don't care what eBay says!!! lol If not, just tell me when you think you're going to send it. Even bad news is received better than no news. Seriously, just set my expectations early, and keep your word.

Thanks for pointing out my incorrect assumption concerning tracking numbers, I've amended the original post to fix it.

When I pay you for an item, please tell me exactly when you will be shipping it and by what method. Don't take payment and ship it a week later. Don't say you'll ship it on Monday, and do it Thursday, and "forget" to send me the tracking number. Be proactive and feed my impatience with accurate information, and the number of dumb questions I ask will decrease.

What method? Pony Express .

What makes you think you deserve shipment before a week? Just because you paid fast doesn't mean it ships fast. You need to check for the eBay symbol indicating 1-day shipment if you want it that fast.

See above. I'm impatient. I think I deserve a shipment before a week because I'm the customer and that's my expectation. You lazy seller should be more appreciative that I'm spending my money with you, so put down the hot dog, get off the sofa, and ship my darn package! :busy:

Why should a seller correct YOUR address. They don't live there. Correct your own damn address! What makes you so special that you think hundreds of sellers should correct something for you rather than you correct it yourself just once?

Again, there's nothing wrong with MY address. The post office will deliver it just fine as-is. Does this mean you're now going to take me up on the wager? :baiting:

Have a good evening...Mike

I'm lazy. I don't want to read two pages of terms and conditions to find out you don't take returns. I don't want to go to another page to find out you were hiding your 25% restocking fee. I don't want to have to read about how you are not a professional grader, how your wife divorced you, how shipping costs have gone up recently, or how this coin is so much better than the rest. Shut the hell up and tell me what I want to know -- what's the shipping price, what is the return policy, and what are the payment terms. Anything more is just an opportunity to lie.

Even when there is a return policy in the posting and in the eBay designated area, buyers do not read it. Check any of the active listing for user having-fun (that's me) and tell me whether it's appropriate in your terms.

Thanks for your reply Scott. I'll think a bit more about your questions later, but I wanted to tell you that I do like your auctions for the most part. Your Ts&Cs could be shortened up a bit and the font made smaller. The the pics could also be larger and sharper, but I see nothing glaringly wrong with your listings (except using the magic phrase "I'm not a professional grader" ;) ).

Considering the language used, I am not amused. :sumo:

As for the tone of the post, I hope you realize that my entire original post was done tongue-in-cheek and aping Greg's condescending tone, and I couldn't agree with you more -- being polite goes a long way. You show it to me, and I'll show it to you. :)

Good evening...Mike

I agree with most the back and forth stuff here, but I do beleive that if a person asks a question of an item, "It is because they don't know". As Mike mentioned, there are alot of scams on ebay and people are shelling out thier hard-earned money and just want to be assured that they are getting what they are paying for. I have no problem answering any question and then I will post the question on the item page for all to read. I also strongly believe in "Give Respect, and you shall Receive respect". I am presently dealing with a power seller that I have dealt with many times before. Very reputable. This is the second time in a row that what I have purchased with a "Buy It Now", has turned into an inventory error and has delayed shipping of my item for 3 weeks. I had to contact the seller to find out this information. I sent him a very polite email explaining the second time issue, the seller never notified me, and I'm having to wait 3 weeks for my purchase to ship. I told him that I appreciated the business I have done with him in the past and his products have always been above my expectations, but due to the lack of communication and the delays of my purchases, that I would still leave positive feedback due to the quality of his products, but that I would need to find a more reliable seller in the future. Respect goes both ways. Customer wants what they pay for, and Seller wants thier money. In order to achieve both, there must be mutual respect between these two strangers.

Thanks for your reply Scott. I'll think a bit more about your questions later, but I wanted to tell you that I do like your auctions for the most part. Your Ts&Cs could be shortened up a bit and the font made smaller. The the pics could also be larger and sharper, but I see nothing glaringly wrong with your listings (except using the magic phrase "I'm not a professional grader" ;) ).

The terms and conditions are a result of selling on eBay for quite some time. When ever something happens that is not described in the T/C, I make adjustments. I have tweaked the wording and consider them very solid since I have not had to make adjustments in over 6 months.

As for the font size, I want them readable. I don't want them to be considered "fine print," which has its own stigma. As an aging person with changing eye site, I think the size is fine for a general audience.

If you look at the images, you will see a note to "Click to Enlarge." If you click the picture, you will get a larger picture. Most of the pictures are in enough detail to see what you need. They are sharp on the larger images. They loose something on the reduction.

Finally, the "standard disclaimer" is true... I am not a professional grader nor have I ever been a professional grader. I know the issues with grading and will not pretend that I am experience enough to take on this task. I lay out the issues on the table and you decide. It is consistent with my favorite phrase caveat emptor!

What you are seeing is an evolution based on experience. What buyers do not understand is that sellers who are just trying to make a fair living are trying to be fair with the buyers while maintaining a business presence. There are too many people trying to scam sellers. All we are doing is trying to protect ourselves while providing the service. The problem is that most buyers don't see the sellers' problems and do not understand that this is a two-way street where both sides have responsibilities to own up to.

Does this sound like "walk a mile in my shoes to understand my point of view?" Unfortunately, it is. We're not out to screw the customer, but we have to protect ourselves. Please understand that as you comment to sellers.

If your coin is in an NGC MS62 holder please don't tell me it looks like an MS64. If you think it's MS64 then crack it out and send it in for a re-grade.

Please don't use "WOW" or "LQQK" in your listing.

When I pay promptly I expect prompt shipment. If you only ship Tuesday and Thursday expect a complaint if I pay on Thursday (after your trip to the post office) and my coin is not shipped until Tuesday.

Don't say the coin "looks Unc to me, but you decide yourself from the high quality photos" - then post a photo so blurry or so small no details are visible.

Please don't tell me that your bag of 1,000 un-searched wheat cents contains at least 50% of coins dated earlier than 1930.

Expect a complaint if I pay for USPS insurance, but the coin shows up with no insurance and you try to explain you are self-insured.

If I buy a 1913 Indian Head nickel, but you ship a 1943 Mercury dime don't expect me to pay the return postage for your mistake.

Expect a big ole negative if my winning bid is 20% below gray sheet, but you tell me the coin was sold to someone else just before the auction ended.

I could go on, but my blood pressure is getting too high.

I just can't stand it so here are a few more:

Just because I buy a coin from you does not mean I want your spam emails for the next two years. Don't put me on your mailing list unless I ask.

If you are drunk don't try to make out mailing labels. My house number is 3315 not 1533. My street name is "Rose Lane" not "Iris Street" (can't believe the post office managed to deliver that one).

If you say a coin is proof 65 don't try to send me a business strike XF.

If you think an internet auction is not an "approval service", therefore do not have a return policy - please find a new line of work.

The terms and conditions are a result of selling on eBay for quite some time. When ever something happens that is not described in the T/C, I make adjustments. I have tweaked the wording and consider them very solid since I have not had to make adjustments in over 6 months.

As for the font size, I want them readable. I don't want them to be considered "fine print," which has its own stigma. As an aging person with changing eye site, I think the size is fine for a general audience.

If you look at the images, you will see a note to "Click to Enlarge." If you click the picture, you will get a larger picture. Most of the pictures are in enough detail to see what you need. They are sharp on the larger images. They loose something on the reduction.

Finally, the "standard disclaimer" is true... I am not a professional grader nor have I ever been a professional grader. I know the issues with grading and will not pretend that I am experience enough to take on this task. I lay out the issues on the table and you decide. It is consistent with my favorite phrase caveat emptor!

What you are seeing is an evolution based on experience. What buyers do not understand is that sellers who are just trying to make a fair living are trying to be fair with the buyers while maintaining a business presence. There are too many people trying to scam sellers. All we are doing is trying to protect ourselves while providing the service. The problem is that most buyers don't see the sellers' problems and do not understand that this is a two-way street where both sides have responsibilities to own up to.

Does this sound like "walk a mile in my shoes to understand my point of view?" Unfortunately, it is. We're not out to screw the customer, but we have to protect ourselves. Please understand that as you comment to sellers.

Thanks again Scott, for your reply.

Just like you've asked me to walk a mile in your shoes, put yourself in my own for a moment...

When I'm browsing eBay, I look at lots of coins (and you will recall from the opening post, I'm both lazy and impatient). When I see something I like in a list of auctions, I click on the auction to do only one thing -- see if I like the coin more than the 100 pixel shot in the list. If I like the coin, I want to see the terms and conditions. Having to click yet again to get to larger photos, while a great feature, as a buyer I'd rather have photos large enough in the body of the auction that I can make a judgement on.

Concerning the brevity, or lack thereof, in your terms, I believe strongly that you need to keep them simple. Telling us that you're not a professional grader, when there are at most a hundred or two in the country, doesn't tell me as a buyer anything. It's like telling me you have two legs. However, saying that "any grades listed in this listing are opinions only and are not a guarantee of grade or value", tells me quite a bit, or not saying anything at all is even better -- people realize you are not a grader and anything other than terms and conditions is your opinion.

As for the font size -- there's really nothing wrong with the font size in and of itself, but when combined with the five other paragraphs it spans more than a page. Consider shortening your terms or make them smaller so they can be read without scrolling.

By way of example....Russ from ATS (ebay:compucheap) has the penultimate eBay auctoins as far as a buyer is concerned. Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-PCI-1956-PR66CAM-TYPE-2-TONED-PROOF-FRANKLIN-HALF_W0QQitemZ200134190812QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [edited to add: Russ doesn't say anything about his return policy :o ]

You could do much worse than to copy his listings. To me, as a buyer, there are few better -- and his auction results prove it.

Now for your comment that sellers "are just trying to make a fair living are trying to be fair with the buyers while maintaining a business presence. There are too many people trying to scam sellers." We buyers feel the same way, and I would suggest that our paranoia is even more justified than your own. To wit: Which do you believe to be greater, the number of deceptive or fraudulent sellers or the number of deceptive or fradulent buyers? I know that at least half of the auctions I view are in some way deceptive or outright fraudulent. Can you say the same of your buyers?

Hope this helps to explain what I was trying to get across in my earlier comments to you...Mike

By way of example....Russ from ATS (ebay:compucheap) has the penultimate eBay auctoins as far as a buyer is concerned. Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-PCI-1956-PR66CAM-TYPE-2-TONED-PROOF-FRANKLIN-HALF_W0QQitemZ200134190812QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [edited to add: Russ doesn't say anything about his return policy :o ]

You could do much worse than to copy his listings. To me, as a buyer, there are few better -- and his auction results prove it.

Hey Mike,

You make some excellent points here, but this one confuses me. With "penultimate" meaning next to last, there seems to be some contradiction of thoughts going on here. hm

Zach

Just like you've asked me to walk a mile in your shoes, put yourself in my own for a moment...

I think the difference between you and me is that I am a buyer as well as a seller. I've experienced both sides and understand both sides But more on some experiences later...

(and you will recall from the opening post, I'm both lazy and impatient)

You may be a minority in this. In my experience is that if these things are not spelled out, the "average" buyer will try to find loop holes. This is happened more than once.

I click on the auction to do only one thing -- see if I like the coin more than the 100 pixel shot in the list. If I like the coin, I want to see the terms and conditions. Having to click yet again to get to larger photos, while a great feature, as a buyer I'd rather have photos large enough in the body of the auction that I can make a judgement on.
And eBay studies say otherwise. The information eBay provides sellers does say that most users are still using dial-up or even slower DSL. We need to consider that in our listings. By including smaller pictures, we are considerate to a larger audience.

Concerning the brevity, or lack thereof, in your terms, I believe strongly that you need to keep them simple. Telling us that you're not a professional grader, when there are at most a hundred or two in the country, doesn't tell me as a buyer anything. It's like telling me you have two legs. However, saying that "any grades listed in this listing are opinions only and are not a guarantee of grade or value", tells me quite a bit, or not saying anything at all is even better -- people realize you are not a grader and anything other than terms and conditions is your opinion.
I will consider the wording change. That wording was added when someone disagreed with me on the grade of a coin that was more of a hastle to deal with than it was worth... even when I offered to take the coin back! Again, this is from experience.

Now for your comment that sellers "are just trying to make a fair living are trying to be fair with the buyers while maintaining a business presence. There are too many people trying to scam sellers." We buyers feel the same way, and I would suggest that our paranoia is even more justified than your own. To wit: Which do you believe to be greater, the number of deceptive or fraudulent sellers or the number of deceptive or fradulent buyers? I know that at least half of the auctions I view are in some way deceptive or outright fraudulent. Can you say the same of your buyers?
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence against fradulent sellers because they get the press. However, if you ask sellers, there are a lot of fradulent buyers... much more than you would thing. Based on my experiences only, I have had more problems with buyers than sellers. Up until some things were spelled out in detail, I've had a lot of returns--too many. I've had many non-paying bidders and someone tried to return something to me that they did not buy from me. With an over 1100 feedback, I can say that I have had only 2 problems with sellers--and one was deservedly NARU'ed. I deal with a problem buyer at least once per month.

I will look into the wording I use, but I am hesitant of changing it based on my experience.

Hey Mike,

You make some excellent points here, but this one confuses me. With "penultimate" meaning next to last, there seems to be some contradiction of thoughts going on here. hm

Zach

Whoops! doh!:blush:

However, I did already admit I was stupid. :insane::D

(and you will recall from the opening post, I'm both lazy and impatient)

You may be a minority in this. In my experience is that if these things are not spelled out, the "average" buyer will try to find loop holes. This is happened more than once.

I really don't think I am. Maybe we should take a vote???

Furthermore, I suggest those buyers who find "loopholes" will find loopholes in anything you write, and the simpler you keep it the harder it is to find loopholes.

I click on the auction to do only one thing -- see if I like the coin more than the 100 pixel shot in the list. If I like the coin, I want to see the terms and conditions. Having to click yet again to get to larger photos, while a great feature, as a buyer I'd rather have photos large enough in the body of the auction that I can make a judgement on.
And eBay studies say otherwise. The information eBay provides sellers does say that most users are still using dial-up or even slower DSL. We need to consider that in our listings. By including smaller pictures, we are considerate to a larger audience.

No actually, the eBay study you reference has nothing to do with what a buyer wants to see when he clicks on your listing, and everything to do with his connection speed which you have interpreted as wanting a small listing page -- an incorrect assumption in my opinion.

Trust me, when a buyer clicks your listing, he doesn't want to know your description of the coin, or that you're not a professional grader. He wants to see clear pics when he gets there so he can say "pass" or "bid". If he didn't like the coin in a view he can't make a final judgement on, he won't click your listing. If he clicks your auction, he wants to see pics so he can make a decision -- not have to click again to accomplish his goal. The faster of a process you can make this the better -- and by making everyone click, you've made everyone's process longer and saved nobody time.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence against fradulent sellers because they get the press. However, if you ask sellers, there are a lot of fradulent buyers... much more than you would thing. Based on my experiences only, I have had more problems with buyers than sellers. Up until some things were spelled out in detail, I've had a lot of returns--too many. I've had many non-paying bidders and someone tried to return something to me that they did not buy from me. With an over 1100 feedback, I can say that I have had only 2 problems with sellers--and one was deservedly NARU'ed. I deal with a problem buyer at least once per month.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, and I have no experience on the selling side to back up my opinion, but I will suggest you simply look at US coin main listing and count how many of those listing are deceptive or outright fraudulent. I just did it for a second time (although it is the middle of the night and "unsearched" coins, estate sales, and self-slabbers seem to go up) it was well over 50%. I have trouble believeing that 50% of your buyers are doing the same thing. Futhermore, I would explain the small number of sellers fraud that you've experienced to your skill in recognizing the tainted auctions immediately and not bidding on them.

Have a nice night...Mike

I have no problem with sellers who do most of the things listed by the OP but I do have one bugaboo with ebay sellers. When listing a slabbed coin--SHOW THE FREAKIN' COIN--not the slab. :pullhair:

Example taken at random...(seller unnamed but well known.)

38halfdimeo-1.jpg38halfdime4.jpg

I already know what a PCGS or NGC slab looks like. I want to know what the coin looks like.

I already know what a PCGS or NGC slab looks like. I want to know what the coin looks like.

Then the seller gets emails asking if the coin is slabbed. I show the coin and insert and I get those emails all the time.

Also, the seller will get an email from the winner after they get the coin stating "I didn't know the coin was so small".

Also, the seller will get an email from the winner after they get the coin stating "I didn't know the coin was so small".

Then the person was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and you would have had problems either way most likely.

Personally, I like to see at least three pictures in every auction -- a closeup of the obverse and reverse, and at least one larger shot showing the slab...Mike

Personally, I like to see at least three pictures in every auction -- a closeup of the obverse and reverse, and at least one larger shot showing the slab...Mike

I agree with Mike this will show the coins as well as let newb like me know that the coin can't be switched.

I agree with Mike this will show the coins as well as let newb like me know that the coin can't be switched.

If you're worried about this then you shouldn't be buying from that seller. Perhaps only buy in person.

Pictures take more time than writing the auction description. If an obverse and reverse isn't enough for you then you're most likely a problem buyer who should be avoided.

And quite honestly, having seen many successful sellers providing only a one-sided picture or an awful quality picture, I'm not sure it really matters with the final price.

Now this I disagree with Greg. I thing at least at least both sides of a coin should be pictured, even if combined on one pic. I don't bid on one-sided coins. If I see an auction with only an Obv or Rev pic, this looks to be like the seller has something to hide or he's just looking to sell to unknowledgeable buyers to make a buck.

It is obvious that (to borrow a phrase), you can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. I bow out of this discussion asking buyers who have never sold on eBay to try selling for a while and come back with your impressions. Then we'll compare notes.

Q.E.D.

Yes Greg i believe in safe than being sorry. In the last 5 month i made over $15,000 in purchases on e-bay. My feedback score is 100% . Maybe your right , i may be a trouble buyer for seller like you thus someonelse gets my business.

John

I am sure that this will always be a two-way street. I'm sure if you are seller that sells alot, that you would always run into problem buyers. Any buyer that has any hesitation will always try to get answers at the last minute. Buyers always want to get more for their money and there are those out there that will try to manipulate to do it. These are the buyers that that ruin it for the good ones and make it harder for us just wanting a nice coin for our money. There are also sellers that sometimes don't take the time to correspond as good as a buyer would like. When I'm bidding from someone and I need a question answered, I try to think that that person may be a business and very busy or an individual who doesn't have the leisure time to check their ebay as often as I can and try to allow a couple days for their response. I do respect a buyer that does communicate at least with sending a thank you for purchase after an auction and takes a little time to at least give some info as to when the coin will ship. I like tracking numbers if it's anything but USPS. I know, as well as anyone else should know, that USPS tracking numbers are a joke. I do pay attention to shipping methods as to, First class: I should see this coin within 5 days. Parcel and Flat rate: well I gives these at least 9-10 business days. That is the norm for these and I think alot of people don't realize that. Instead of rambling on more about this, My biggest concern and appreciation with being a buyer myself, is that first communication. All I ask is send an email saying thanks and your coin will ship this date. I respect sellers that do this.

Recently, I have been trying to include a picture of the slab along with both obverse and reverse or the combined obverse / reverse photo. In addition, I am going back to store items and adding a slab view where time permits.

Scanning takes time and ebay only lets you have one pic for free then you have to pay extra for each additional one. On a macro basis ebay and paypal fees amount to 14.5% of my ebay sales. The fixed overhead expenses of coin shows when you tack on travel, hotel, and meals aren't much better not to mention the time drain if you have a full time "real" job like I do. For online selling however, the whole slab view is going to be needed to sway many potential buyers. If you are an online seller, adding the slab view may increase your sales. Many potential buyers are interested in the type of TPG holder the coin is in. Buyers also take of the slab number so don't ship slab #15 if the photo is simply a stock photo slab #1 unless its stated they will be getting a different coin (say like in selling modern MS 70 AGE's).

Coins in the PCGS OGH (old green holders) or "rattler" holders always pull a lot of sellers in to look at the coin. Be sure and have this in your description. Same holds true with the NGC "fattie" holders. Many feel there is potential for upgrade on this coins. Be careful when buying this material because many of these coins (almost always before resubmission) need a dip also to remove PVC toning or finger marks. Many of these were obviously "thumbed" at some point in time to hide contact marks. Unattractive now and needing a dip, the conservation treatment may in fact bring to view contact marks which could lower the grade - a sort of darned if you do and darned if you dont.