• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Mint - Simple Math - Wrong Answers?

6 posts in this topic

The 2006 10-coin Clad Proof Set costed $22.95. This year, with the addition of the Prez Proofs, it costs $26.95. Why would anyone buy the individual set of Prez Proofs for $14.95 when they can get them for just $4 by ordering the 14-coin Proof Set?

Chris

well, I bought it because the pres proofs...SUCK!!! so to get some good ones. I've had to go through 6 sets, so far. I'm not trying state quarters, dimes, nickels, etc so I don't want to pay the extra $8 for them.

Because people want them early. Same reason why people buy the state quarter sets instead of waiting for the entire proof set.

I was dumb enough to buy 5 of the presidential sets, and figure on losing money on every one of them. :insane: I was not aware that the mint was going to include the presidential coins with the regular Proof sets.

I predict that the mint will raise the price to regular Proof sets to a price in line with the Presidental set price. At the same time I think that collectors will bulk at paying over $30 for a base metal (clad) Proof set.

The bottom line is the mint is issuing to darn many coins. :P

The 2006 10-coin Clad Proof Set costed $22.95. This year, with the addition of the Prez Proofs, it costs $26.95. Why would anyone buy the individual set of Prez Proofs for $14.95 when they can get them for just $4 by ordering the 14-coin Proof Set?

Chris

EOE (thumbs u