• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MNS Coin Show (St. Louis, MO) Report

10 posts in this topic

In short, I had a fantastic show, both buying and selling. Although attendance did not seem exceedingly high, there seemed to be a steady trickle of collectors most all the time, and this is supported by the fact that I had $375 and a $275 sales literally within the last fifteen minutes of the show.

I have, over the last year, been accumulating a nice run of choice, ultra-original large-sized bust quarters (1805 - 1828), and this paid off in spades. My inventory included 21 examples, most in the VF/EF range, and by the end of the show, I had sold TWELVE of them! This is a series that I personally think is red-hot, yet you wouldn't know it from the articles that are typically written about what's "hot" in the market. I sold every one of those coins for well over Trends, so there isn't "wholesale" numbers skewing those results, either. The fact is, those are very rare coins, and an awful lot of collectors need nice examples.

Bust half-dollars were also very strong sellers for me, and I (unfortunately) move six out of inventory - as usual, mostly my best coins. I sold BOTH of my beautiful MPLs (matte proof Lincolns) (very sad :( ), and oddly, sold three certifed Liberty nickels as well. That's just a smattering, of course, as I sold a good variety of just about everything at this show.

I was able to purchase several nice coins, but only a couple of the earlier type. Replacing the bust quarters is going to be extremely difficult, and I don't expect to have my inventory re-bolstered until perhaps next year!! Nice bust half-dollars were basically non-existent.

Unfortunately, the Scotsman auction was pretty weak, in my opinion. They had virtually nothing for me. I did purchase the 1787 Nova Eborac in PCGS EF-40 (I call it VF-20), the 1813 Classic Head large-cent in PCGS VF-30 (I call it VF-20), and an 1806/5 Draped Bust half-dollar in a cleaned VF grade. The half, though heavily dipped, has a lot of luster which belies the conservative Scotsman grade, and I like despite the negative aspects.

That's all I won, but it isn't like things were going crazy. Only a few coins went unexpectedly far beyond the expected estimates (some of which were out of whack anyway). I had a few consignments in the sale that all sold, and every one brought a little more than I'd reserved them for, so I was happy with that.

I look forward to seeing your comments or show reports!

Thanks for the report!

I agree - it's a shame you sold those coins. . .

especially to someone else! (where's the darn "winkie" when you want it?)

Great to hear you had a good show on both sides of the table. (thumbs u

I have to agree with you about the bust quarters, that coin is on my short list this year, trying to get examples of busts coins for my type set. Nice eye appealing coins are not an easy find and are getting pricier all the time.

It's good to learn that you had a good show......much better than Chicago, right!

Thanks for the report.

Chris

Great report, James. Sounds like you reluctantly let go of those coins! It's tough when someone makes an offer you can't refuse!

Mark

I'm glad that it was a fantastic show for you James (thumbs u I spoke with a couple of collectors who attended and they were disappointed by the show since they didn't find what they were looking to purchase. (shrug) Unfortunately I was unable to attend :cry: any of the show.