• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.R. Brown Sr. May 7, 1917 - July 28, 2007

34 posts in this topic

It is with extreme sadness that I inform you of the passing of my Father, G.R. Brown Sr. yesterday, July 28th at the age of 90. I have been here at my folks for the past several weeks helping and assisting both my Mother and Father during what developed into a rather unexpected rapid decline in his health.

As many of you know, the collection that brought me to this hobby and to these forums is one my Father began over 70 years ago. I just wanted everyone to know that the experiences, knowledge and friendship that has come from each of you and these forums was something that I was fortunate to be able to share with him over the last several months. It helped bring new meaning and pride to my Father as we together learned more about his coins.

To one that continued to use a manual typewriter, he was amazed at the level of resources and information present day technology and these boards could provide. The photographic album of his collection I put together for his 90th birthday in May included the many well wishes you had provided for his birthday and I will tell you, I have never seen him more proud of a gift then that album.

I wanted to share a paraphrase from one of our member's notes to him that was included in the cover page of the album. "As a collection grows, so does its true worth to the collector personally, as well as the numismatic value. One piece after another---until one day the collection becomes something above what the collector imagined. Until that day, he feels like a coin collector. When that special day arrives, he has instead become a curator of the history, rarity and overall beauty of the "exhibit" he has created." You, the members and contributors to these forums made that day possible for my Father and for myself and for that we thank you.

I can honestly say truly without bias that my Father was the most intelligent, honest, intriguing, thoughtful, caring, giving and interesting person I have ever or will ever meet. Two examples of his giving personality I found while going through some papers yesterday with my mother. One was a letter from 2000 that was never sent where he was offering as a contribution, his collection of US Gold Coins to his alma mater, the California Institute of Technology, Cal Tech. For whatever reason he did not do that. The second example was another letter dated 2003 that again apparently he did not send, to a Mr. Munger, apparently a coin collector from where, I do not know. Again he was addressing the same collection of US gold coins and was offering to discuss selling them to "convert their appreciation into cash for the education of his two granddaughters". This did not come about either, I believe it was for a reason.

I don't know how to really explain it or put into words, but his coin collection somehow brought a new dimension and meaning to my relationship with my father and to both his and my life overall over the past several months. It has opened up a new world to me and one that will allow me to be able to "share" with my father each and every time I am involved with them and with these forums.

Thank you for your sharing, your friendship and your contribution to this hobby which my Father truly enjoyed as we all do.

Regards,

Rey

Very very sorry to hear of your loss, Rey. From what I have read from your stories across your entire stay here, I gather that your father was really a great guy.

Rey, It was a pleasure knowing of your father and watching you post his and your fine collection of coins. I'm sure he left you with so much more to remember him by, but as for me, I know his memory will carry on with your dedication to keeping his numismatic dream alive. I want to send you my deepest condolences and also send you my thanks for coming into this forum and giving me the opportunity to view your fathers collection, and be able to see the passion that he had for the hobby. Thank you!!

I am profoundly sorry to read of your loss, Rey. It appears that even without the numismatic connection that you and your father had a terrific and special relationship. I wish you all well.

Rey, I am saddened to hear of your father's passing. These past few months, it is almost as if we have all got to know him personally. We've seen his impressive collection and have gotten to know his even more impressive son. Thanks to your father, this has been a speed learning course for you and you have performed admirably. And also thanks to your father, we have not only been able to view a great collection with a variety of fabulous examples but are also blessed with a new friend and fellow poster.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this most difficult and trying time. I know he must have been very proud of you, Rey.

Rey---- More than just a little shock at this news. Wish you and all your family the very best at this time.

Everything indeed does happen for a reason IMHO. One may never truely understand it---but it is there somewhere. Somehow it was meant to be that you and your dad had these "special" times together. The coins made the time spent that much more enjoyable.

One thing now remains for you to do. Keep the fire burning and pass it along. In our talks I think this is indeed inside of you now. You have received the love of the hobby from your dad. Was a great gift----and I know that you appreciate it.

May God grant him eternal rest. Peace to your family. Bob [supertooth]

My condolences rey.. we seem to have both had someone very specal who was born in 1917 pass this year.. thanks for your support .. and i offer mine now in your time of need.. keep posting the pictures of his amazing collection .. and if you need a chat please PM me at any time ..

all the best dooly..

My condolences also Rey, I'm sure at the age of 90 he had a story or two. I enjoy talking to older gentleman for the information they bring, it's not something you can read in a book.

Thanks to your posts and your fathers coins, my life has been enriched.

Richard

Rey, I know that you and your Mom will certainly have a missing part of your life, that only time will relieve the burden of your heavy heart. I would have really liked to have met your Dad and personally Thanked him, for his and your contributions to this great community of fellow collectors. On behalf of all of the members and guest to this forum,

please accept our condolences. You and your family will certainly be in our prayers.

We will see him thru you every time you post .

With deepest sympathy.

Rey, I’m sorry for your loss.

I also noticed you seemed to have a wonderful relationship with your Dad, one in which everyone can be proud of.

Stan

Rey, I am very sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I know he was a great Father, collector, and great human being. I will keep you and yours in my prayers. Carl.

Rey, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I'm gratified to hear what a rich relationship you were blessed to have with your father. Such a relationship is worth more than all the gold in the world.

Condolences,

Michael

Rey, I know how it feels to lose someone so close and dear to your heart, and my sympathies go out to you and your family. I hope you realize that his legacy lives on.............in you.

With warmest regards,

Chris Machuga

Rey, while being a most sad day for your family, it is also a sad day for the hobby as it has lost a caring member. Thanks to your previous stories and hopefully your future tales we who never were fortunate enough to have met him will be able to nonetheless feel as if we knew him. What a great collection that you have shown us in the past and again I hope to see in the future.

Again, from my family to yours, you are in our prayers.

Jim Bowling

So I come home from a business trip to very sad news. Rey just know that all of us (coin guys) are here for ya. May he rest in peace. He will live on thru you. Every time you look at a coin you will be able to think of him and the great times you two shared.

Rey - My sincere condolences to you and yours for the loss of your father. May his memory, love, and the many matters he set into motion in his lifetime have positive effects on countless lives in this world.

Hoot

Thank you all very much for the kind words and condolences. It truly means a lot to me, my mother and our family.

Thank you so much.

Rey

Rey, sorry I was off the boards the last couple of days and didn’t see this thread until just this morning. I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Your father sounds like a extraordinary man.

May he rest in peace :angel: and his memory continue to guide and inspire you. My condolences and thoughts for you and your family.

Ray, my sincerest condolences to you and all your family members on your loss. Losing a beloved, close family member is always hard on all who loved him.

Charlie

Rey, may you find comfort in the fond memories you will carry forever of your dear father.

Scott