• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about some Half Cents... I'll start

28 posts in this topic

Nice half cents there Richard and Jim. Richard, 198yrs old. that's in nice shape. Looks to have been laquered. Isn't this how they were preserved??

Here's an interesting one I don't own anymore

(images)

I love the date on that coin. Judging from Heritage records, though, there won't be one in my collection any time soon. :)

bsshog... The coin is actually 2-3 shades darker in-hand. What appears as the "growing green crud" is actually dirt in the devices.I think this is an artifact of my poor photography "skills" ;)

I had thought about an acetone bath for this piece, but I've decided to leave the coin alone...L

bsshog... The coin is actually 2-3 shades darker in-hand. What appears as the "growing green crud" is actually dirt in the devices.I think this is an artifact of my poor photography "skills" ;)

I had thought about an acetone bath for this piece, but I've decided to leave the coin alone...L

Well it still looks good. I hear olive oil is good for this and does not hurt the coin at all. (thumbs u

Holy Smokes !

You guys have some fantastice coins. I'm kind of embarrased with mine now :blush:

You should not feel that way. I've been at this since 1959 and started paying more than face value for coins in 1961.

Very nice 1700's half cent there Bill!!!!!!!!

Hey Richard, I know you were just adding to the compliment of the coins but never feel embarrased of your own collection. I don't care how cheap mine are or how they look. I love my coins!!!

regarding the 1811 - Bright RED color, raised bumps, wrong reverse..............Counterfeit!!!!!!

But it is a perty one.

You go back to your 1963 mint set. :baiting:

regarding the 1811 - Bright RED color, raised bumps, wrong reverse..............Counterfeit!!!!!!

But it is a perty one.

You go back to your 1963 mint set. :baiting:

He's actually right.

This is the Mickley Restrike.

Joseph Mickely acquired the dies for the 1811 and 1802 1/2 cents after the fire in the Philadelphia Mint (I believe) and muled the two together forming this 'PROOF' which is actually very scarce and collectible.

The bright red color is entirely natural, as this coin was untouched since Virgil Brand had it in his possession, the photo is true to life and totally realistic (I took it myself while the coin was still raw). The bumps are from die rust.

true, but it wasn't officially sanctioned by the Mint. Although, I must say, it is treated as a restrike, in both it's name and collector base. PCGS who wouldn't holder them in the past (but meanwhile they holdered the New Haven 'restrike' of the fugio, which isn't really a restrike at all), is now holdering the Mickley Restrike.

but yes...now that I think about it, using the original dies, does make it a Restrike!