• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reshot Pics Of Some Of My 1853 Circ Set

7 posts in this topic

Comments welcome good or bad.

Though not real high grade, I like the eye appeal of this trime.

33753192-Updated1853CircSet013.jpg81829748-Updated1853CircSet014.jpg

The coin is not quite as dark as in the photos, but is a great NA-O HD

48455964-Updated1853CircSet009.jpg97681663-Updated1853CircSet010.jpg

One of the Arrowed dimes

25899446-Updated1853CircSet015.jpg

152882109-Updated1853CircSet016.jpg

Decent half cent although I don't know what to do about what appears like verdigris within the 3. Coin is currently in a slab. Thoughts?

103384461-Updated1853CircSet005.jpg

962558103-Updated1853CircSet006.jpg

The half cent has the look of a coin that has been lacquered at some point. That used to be a common way of preserving coins. You might be able to see very small, thin lines on the surface if the lacquer has cracked - it will take about 45X to see them. Or you can give it a bath in acetone and that will remove the lacquer and the verdigris.

The half cent has the look of a coin that has been lacquered at some point. That used to be a common way of preserving coins. You might be able to see very small, thin lines on the surface if the lacquer has cracked - it will take about 45X to see them. Or you can give it a bath in acetone and that will remove the lacquer and the verdigris.

I think you're probably right about the lacquer; although I really don't know much about it. The coin looks "shiny" in the pics moreso than in hand. It's currently in an older Anacs AU55 slab. I've never cracked a slab. Do you think it should be done to help preserve the coin ?

Nice set there Richard. I think I would check with NCS about the verdigris on that half cent. Looks like more than one spot on the reverse and a couple on the rev.. The only problem I see is, does NGC grade these if they have been laquered? Would hate to see it come out of a legitimate slab and then BB'd.

While they all have good eye appeal, the half dime appears to have been polished, at least the obverse.

Maybe ? I see in the pic what you're talking about. I'm still very happy with it as these are so hard to find.

I got this one from Brian Greer; and coming from him makes me feel a lot better about the coin.

Here's a different shot of the same coin:

51721795-CappedBustHalfDimes067.jpg

72722172-CappedBustHalfDimes068.jpg

I've got to figure out the lighting as the coin is lighter than the first pics but darker than the second pics.

While they all have good eye appeal, the half dime appears to have been polished, at least the obverse.

Who cares?

That's an 1853-O without arrows. That is one scarce little devil. :devil: