• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help edited

8 posts in this topic

Mike I myself am not sure but could you post a pic of the whole coin along with the one you have in question so we could see the entire coin. I too would like to know? If I haven't already welcome to the boards!!!

Lem

I agree with Lem Mike. It would be nice to see the kennedy. It would be interesting to see the extent of what looks like a slight off-strike. Welcome to the forum if I missed you also.

Mike, welcome to the neighborhood! I've searched about 100 - $500 boxes of Kennedy halves, and this is very common for the early 70's. I'm not sure what caused it to happen, but I don't think you'll find that it adds any value to the coin.

Chris

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but since we are talking kennedys, what is going on with these 1964 coins? I have a whole UNC roll of these. It looks like somebody put a thumbprint in molten silver.....

Polish marks? Or just the die makers marks....

ken.jpg

ken1.jpg

MM (shrug)

Because they are parallel, it looks like someone at the Mint may have used a wire brush to clean the die. Just a guess!

Chris

Welcome aboard Mike! :hi: I would gues a mistrike also.

MM, those look like severe polish marks to me.

I've seen these marks on 1964 JFK half dollar before. I believe that they are die polish marks, and I've seen them enough times to think that they are not unusual.