• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes they overgrade; sometimes they undergrade; sometimes they....

16 posts in this topic

That's quite a price difference, Chris. I am not familiar with PCGS, as having never used their services. Should they, as their standard policy, attribute this coin as a VAM 6, Top 100 without being told to(at least contact you and tell you an additional fee was needed). I think that NGC would contact you with a fee increase but not 100% sure.

That is most assuredly a beautiful Morgan. Congrats.

That's quite a price difference, Chris. I am not familiar with PCGS, as having never used their services. Should they, as their standard policy, attribute this coin as a VAM 6, Top 100 without being told to(at least contact you and tell you an additional fee was needed). I think that NGC would contact you with a fee increase but not 100% sure.

That is most assuredly a beautiful Morgan. Congrats.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what the PCGS policy is either as I have never used their service. I'm sure there is someone here who could have checked the serial # ATS if I hadn't covered part of it with my Smiley Face.

I'm not even sure of the NGC policy. All I can tell you is that a couple years ago I sent a batch of Morgans to NCS for conservation. Since they were there, I included instructions to send them to NGC for grading. I didn't make any request for variety service, but my 1879-S Reverse of '78 came back with the "Top 100" designation on the insert.

Chris

Jim, I also have this Morgan that PCGS did not attribute, and there is a considerable jump in value because of it. It's a VAM 4, Hot 50.

41488-IMG_1529.JPG.96ecceef7b5402287a3bda6af74c390a.JPG

41489-IMG_1530.JPG.7a4dae16909483e15a791d7a000e0fa4.JPG

41490-IMG_1528.JPG.f49f8505741084d4f9379cc21f680a61.JPG

From these two examples, it would appear that PCGS could care less about your attribution unless you pay up front. Some day these agencies will be brought to task about who controls the purse strings and who can quit using their services. For right now we will have to persevere. Nice two coins, Chris. Great pickups.

From these two examples, it would appear that PCGS could care less about your attribution unless you pay up front. Some day these agencies will be brought to task about who controls the purse strings and who can quit using their services. For right now we will have to persevere. Nice two coins, Chris. Great pickups.

I think that the TPG's have many graders working but only one who does the attributing...So that If you don't have it marked on the submission sheet it just goes to the grading room.

hm

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I can't speak for PCGS, but here we don't do variety attributions unless the customer requests it and pays the VarietyPlus fee of $7. There are exceptions, as some easily recognized varieties are done automatically. These include coins such as the 1955 and 1972 DDO cents, 1918/7-D and 1937-D 3-legged nickels, 1942/1 dimes, etc. We don't charge extra for these, though it's still a good idea to list the variety in the Variety column of the submission form so that the Receiving Dept will write it up correctly before sending it to the graders.

If you spot a recognized variety in an unattributed holder, you can always submit it for Designation Review. This costs $10, but it includes a new holder. You may want to check our list of recognized varieties (accessible via the home page) before resubmitting a coin.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran
Thanks, David! Can you also submit crossovers for this review?

Chris

Yes. Just check the VP box on the submission form, in addition to whichever grading tier applies, and include the extra $7. Be sure to write in the variety, if known, in the Variety column. This reduces the chances of the variety service being overlooked when grading.

I just sent an 1855 "Knob on Ear" Large Cent back in, because they did not attribute it. This is one of the "commonest", and most recognizable varieties in existance, and they seem to have missed it first time around.

The coin has nice eye appeal but I still do not understand how a coin with so many marks on the portrait can receive a grade of 64. I have many other coins with other designs that have far fewer marks with lower grades.

Some latitude is given to grading because many of these were stored in Mint vaults for 75+ years, and the bag marks were the natural result of being moved and/or transported from one Mint facility to another.

Chris