• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!, part 2.

13 posts in this topic

I posted about this one in early June, but finally got photos that properly show the downsides and upsides of this coin. It is graded NGC MS66FBL. I bought this one sight unseen from a Goldberg auction figuring that NGC is tough on FBL. Unfortunately when I got it I realized that there is NO WAY this should be a FBL. While the coin does have a reedmark on Ben's head, on the whole I agree with the 66 grade as it is quite clean otherwise. While I'm bummed about the FBL, the coin is very pretty otherwise with nice rich colors, so that's why I'm keeping it. The image is by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

Franklin58_N66fblObv.jpg

Franklin58_N66fblRev.jpg

Where is part 1?? :baiting:(:

I love the toning. I can see how you are unhappy with the slightly weak bell lines though. I agree with your reasoning about NGC being rather tough on what is called FBL though...

Sky, a quick question. I, too, cannot believe that NGC would designate this coin FBL. Is it possible that in the toning process something caused the FBL's to fill or disappear. From this single photo it appears to be a smudge just where the lines are missing. Might just be the angle, might be my wacko imagination. I believe I would at least show this to NGC. They might have photos of when they graded it.

That coin is a shame for the designation. I know that placing it beside your beautiful coins must be painful.

Sky, a quick question. I, too, cannot believe that NGC would designate this coin FBL. Is it possible that in the toning process something caused the FBL's to fill or disappear.

No, this is not possible in practice. Theoretically, since toning is a reaction on the surface, and the silver reacts with the sulfur, if it tones and is dipped enough you could wash enough silver away that the details will disappear. This is why, on a smaller scale, the luster disappears on a dipped coin. However, this is not the case here, this coin is just plain old weakly struck.

Sky, that is a nice coin, and I like it as an MS-66. While later date Franklins, and especially P mints, have weaker bell lines, this is a little bit extreme. The eagle is half missing even. I would recommend submitting it for a designation review, and cross your fingers they don't say "mechanical error."

Is it my imagination or does the 58 have a slight doubling?..........And I agree those are not full bell lines, it is, however a beautiful Frankie.

I see the doubling too richar. Very nice Frankie Sky and I agree as to no FBL by far. I can't see how this was designated as to the pics clearly show missing lines.

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!

I'm going to send it back to NGC one of these days for designation review and see if they want to buy it back as is or are willing to front the cost differential for FBL (FBL's are roughly double the cost of non-FBL). Personally I would prefer the second option. Of course, on the designation review it might pick up a star, as even by 1958-P standards (a date known for producing some nice toning), it ain't too shabby a looking coin. Losing the FBL, and picking up a star, would definitely confuse the monetary remuneration aspects of it.

Is it my imagination or does the 58 have a slight doubling?..........And I agree those are not full bell lines, it is, however a beautiful Frankie.

I see the doubling too richar. Very nice Frankie Sky and I agree as to no FBL by far. I can't see how this was designated as to the pics clearly show missing lines.

Actually guys the doubling is a function of the lighting. There is no doubling on this coin.

It's a nice coin either way to me.

In hand can you see the lines at different angles?

I have problems getting the lines to show in some images.

In hand can you see the lines at different angles?

I have problems getting the lines to show in some images.

No. That's what I thought was occuring with the auction photos as, after all, it was an NGC FBL... Live and learn.

...Sky, that is a nice coin, and I like it as an MS-66. While later date Franklins, and especially P mints, have weaker bell lines, this is a little bit extreme. The eagle is half missing even...

That is a Type 1 Eagle. On 1958's you can get Type 1 (weak) and Type 2 (strong) Eagles. Type 1's are only found on business strikes. Type 2's are found on both business and proof strikes. Probably 80% of business strikes are Type 1.