• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what a 100% original crusty great eye appeal 19th century coin looks like

27 posts in this topic

and it is a really scarce sleeper date to boot ......

they are just never available (1874-p trade dollars) in circ grade

in fact the pcgs pops substanciate this!!!!!!

in fact any circ. trade dollar even a common date would be rare looking like this!!!!!!!

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=search&task=det_pl&offset=36&gal_id=1

:cloud9:

i did not say circ trade dollars are scarce please re read my post

i said that any circ trade dollar

with.......................

killer original never cleaned surfaces

and great eye appeal are really RARE!!!!!

add to the fact you never hardly ever see any 1874-p trade dollars in circ cleaned or damaged or not................ for sale is just added icing on the cake

of course dipped ugly cleaned hairlined to death damaged problematic circ trade dollars are available by the ton......................

A coin like that could only be made more beautiful by taking it out of its plastic tomb. I wouldn't do that to an MS-65, but a nice XF? You bet.

Every way you look at it this is an excellent example of an XF 45. Thanks for sharing the link!

This is one of my favorite grades to collect when you can find one like this. Great detail, enough mint luster remains to make it shine and it has actually seen circulation. Best of all, grades like this are much more affordable than their MS counterparts for those on tighter budgets than others.

Didn't mean to omit key words, essentially that is what I was asking and you gave me the information I was looking for.

no i did not buy the coin

myself mark great question it is an au coin but with the crust it totally subdues the lustre

so only xf 45 by the pricing services

this is why so many submitters dip and clean coins they get rewarded by the services.............

so you keep a killer rare coin originazl and you get killed by the investor pricing services and you dip clean a coin and you get rewarded

in other words they price it for more$$$$

and usually it is only about the money as usually submitters already know the grades of their coins they just want the investor pricing services to price it vazlue added plastic and all that

i only like coins that are worth more out of the holder

as such with this coin

The coin arrived at my doorstep today, and I have agreed to purchase it. :D

Looking at the coin in-hand, I believe Michael is correct -- the luster is too subdued due to the toning to be graded higher. Wear-wise it is consistent with a TPG graded AU coin, but the luster is only an XF.

Candidly, I could care less what the grade is -- I love the look of the coin, the price was justifiable to me, and the grade no longer matters -- the coin will soon be cracked out to live out its days in a Dansco.

I'll take some pics of the coin raw and post them to the thread once I do, in the meantime, take care....Mike

p.s. I apologize for not telling the entire truth in my earlier post. While I did not always do so in the past, I try not to comment publically on a coin before having agreed to purchase it in case I don't like it and want to return it -- I don't think it is fair to the seller.

Sounds like a good buy. This coin in this condition is *begging* to be cracked out and enjoyed in an album. That wouldn't be true for an MS-65 but it certainly is here. :)