• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do they do it?

12 posts in this topic

I got this 1887 Morgan when I was in Las Vegas in June. It was easy to spot the strong doubling on the bottom of the "1" of the date, and I determined later determined that this is a VAM11.

According to VAMWorld, the VAM11 is also an MPD, and you can see the faint remnants of the "7" in the denticles immediately below the numeral. The MPD does not show up well using the capture function of my microscope's camera, probably due to the lighting, but it is more apparent in actual viewing through the microscope to be the same as the image shown in VAMWorld. It is amazing to me how someone could discover something like this in the first place. It's hard enough to visualize it when you know it's there. By the way, does MPD stand for "Misplaced Date" or "Mispositioned Date" or is it something else?

Anyway, I also noted a small die chip on the reverse just above the olive branch between the eagle's talons, but this is not mentioned in any diagnostics from either VAMWorld or the VAM Book. I want to determine if this is a MDS or LDS. Does anyone have the VAM11 with this die chip?

Chris

41396-1887VAM11Date1.jpg.f76bc593bbcb195651e592cc2894375e.jpg

41398-1887VAM11MPD.jpg.08f85d8b4c835ec645dfc444600d378c.jpg

41399-1887VAM11RevDieChip.jpg.28c1148646b8178a84bbe9830dc44e05.jpg

MPD is misplaced date. Not sure about your last question though. Nice pick up by the way and good images representing the details.

Rey

MPD - misplaced date. But the need to use a microscope to attribute many VAMs is exactly why non-vammers often laugh about such "variety collecting". It's why I stick to busties, which can usually be attributed without even a magnifying glass :D.

I don't disagree with you, James, but I'm sure that diagnostics like this can aid in identification. Personally, I think that should be the only purpose. However, I didn't use the microscope to find these variants. I used it to photograph them and post the images here.

Chris

Thanks, Rey! Actually it would have been more appropriate if I had asked if anyone has the VAM11 with or without this die chip. I really like this stereomicroscope with the camera attachment. You can get great images of the very smallest details.

Chris

Now, just imagine the Morgan addic.....um, aficionado who originally pored over a coin in enough detail to uncover the misplaced date. Talk about commitment. :o

Thanks, Rey! Actually it would have been more appropriate if I had asked if anyone has the VAM11 with or without this die chip. I really like this stereomicroscope with the camera attachment. You can get great images of the very smallest details.

Chris

Would you mind identifying your microscope? Those are amazing images. Is the lighting variable, and is there sufficient room for external lighting?

I want to determine if this is a MDS or LDS.

Since when were Morgans minted in Utah? :kidaround:

Morgans were minted in PA, CA, LA, NV & CO.........Mormons were minted in UT!

Chris

Now, just imagine the Morgan addic.....um, aficionado who originally pored over a coin in enough detail to uncover the misplaced date. Talk about commitment. :o

Chris

Would you mind identifying your microscope? Those are amazing images. Is the lighting variable, and is there sufficient room for external lighting?

It is a Pacific Science, Model P21511, 10x-40x Zoom Stereomicroscope with a (Gooseneck) Flex Cam. It has two built-in light sources, one above and one below, but I only use the one above for the coins. There is enough clearance so that other light sources could be used. I use a draftsmans fluorescent lamp that clamps to the table and is easy to manipulate from side-to-side. close in, etc.

41429-IMG_1250.JPG.d4ed444e476bb15d0da6470b83297460.JPG

Chris, is that attachment labeled "ClearOne" the camera? If not, where do you attach the camera? Great closeups BTW. (thumbs u

Chris, is that attachment labeled "ClearOne" the camera? If not, where do you attach the camera? Great closeups BTW. (thumbs u

Yes, that is the camera. You use an adapter tube (slip-on) to connect it to one eyepiece (shown in the photo) and you connect the camera to your computer via USB.

Chris