• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabing us mint proof sets

10 posts in this topic

I have the US Mint Silver Proof sets for 1999-2006 and I'm wondering since they already come in a sealed holder, 1 for the 5 state quarters and 1 for regular coins of that year, should I get them certified and slabbed. I don't see many of those sets certified and slabbed. Do they loose their value by removing them from their mint packaging and holders?

I have the US Mint Silver Proof sets for 1999-2006 and I'm wondering since they already come in a sealed holder, 1 for the 5 state quarters and 1 for regular coins of that year, should I get them certified and slabbed. I don't see many of those sets certified and slabbed. Do they loose their value by removing them from their mint packaging and holders?

Welcome to our little corner of the Numismatic world!

There is no simple answer to your question. There is anecdotal evidence that suggests that most buyers like the sets in the Mint packaging. In my own experience, I have had a difficult time selling certified modern proof coins--except for State Quarters. I have sold state quarters certified at PF68+ without problems. Lower grades do not sell well.

If you are worried about the value, you could loose value if the coins are not graded at least PF69 DCAM (or PR69 UCAM for ATS). While the coins will increase their value from the original sale, the lower grade may make them worth less than their grading fees. However, if you have any coins that grade PF70, then you will clearly find good value. But it is a gamble.

I hope you realize that you have value. If you bought the sets from the Mint at their original costs, the 1999 and 2001 silver proofs have increased in value. I recently saw a 1999 silver proof set in original Mint packaging being offered for $375 and the 2001 for $185!

IMVHO: Unless you have some reason for slabbing these coins (registry sets, collecting goals, etc.), I would keep them in their original Mint packaging. That is what I am doing.

Scott :hi:

Generally having these sets slabs will not be good for your financial health. I have purchased some of these coins to fill holes in a registry set. I usually buy coins in PR-69 DCAM holders for less than the grading fee + postage. But even at that these coins are not a good. I'm just filling registry set holes.

I plan on keeping mine raw and in the OGP. I really don't see any reason to slab unless intentions were to sell. I still think, unless PF70's, that these would sell at the going rates slabbed or not.

I would keep them in the OGP unless you were looking to sell them, even then unless you think they will grade PF 70 it isn't really worth it. If you are going after a registry set it may be cheaper to buy the single coins.

I am keeping one of each year in it's orginal package but I am buying extra's to have graded to sell and to put in a registry set.

I don't believe there is much incentive to have these pieces slabbed since the cost of certification will likely be more than the sets are worth.

I am busting 1971's out to have graded and buying singles which have been graded. the main reason is that there are very few Dimes graded and i need them to make my sets up

Being a NGC Multi Coin Slabbing Officionado ( aka Dodo ) for Proof sets ... I go from 1998 backwards with mine as the 99 and ups will lose value when remove from Origninal Mint Packaging ESPECIALLY the silver sets.