• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ya gotta like free coins.........especially seated dimes.

19 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of seated dimes that didn't cost me a dime.......pun intended.

What would you grade them, and what's your oppinion of them.

JJ

1875so.jpg

1875sr.jpg

1888so.jpg

1888sr.jpg

Nice coins! I would say AU-58 as a minimum, but more likely MS 63ish for both. The first one being more likely a 58 than the second. But if they are free and you are keeping them, then what's the difference? :takeit:

very nice coins! love the toning! please tell how they didnt cost you a dime! :)

i would grade the first one as a 60 and the second as a 62 (thumbs u

They were free, because I found them with a metal detector. They are the two best seated dimes I have found. They came out of the ground with ugly toning, so I dipped them and then let them relax in the window in TP for the last 6 months. Technically, they may be AT, but I have seen plenty of coins in slabs with this type of toning, and chemically, they are no different than a coin that was stored in an evelope or album for years.

JJ

I would grade them both AU. Very nice detector find. I detected a little this past weekend and all I found was about 51cents modern coins.

If you don't mind me asking what type of an area did you find these in?

Nice finds.

Rey

I don't mind at all, the 1888S was found in an old picnic grove near Salinas, CA.The grove was used from about 1880 to 1920 and is now a cow pasture. The 1875 was found on the grounds of an 1870's school in Marlborough, Massachussets that was being torn up.

JJ

I don't mind at all, the 1888S was found in an old picnic grove near Salinas, CA.The grove was used from about 1880 to 1920 and is now a cow pasture. The 1875 was found on the grounds of an 1870's school in Marlborough, Massachussets that was being torn up.

That's cool, especially since the coins were found not far from where they were minted. It's easy to conjure up images of someone losing these on their respective grounds not too many years after they were minted. In particular, the '88-S may have fallen out of someone's pocket (or hand) in 1889...

Nice finds! I especially like the look of the '88-S. (thumbs u

I would grade them both AU. Very nice detector find. I detected a little this past weekend and all I found was about 51cents modern coins.

Why do you classic collectors have to use every opportunity to bash moderns! :kidaround:

Here are the before toning photos, after the first quick dip, I did a second quick dip to get rid of the rest of the toning, and then put them in the TP.

JJ

seated1.jpg

seated2.jpg