• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type B Reverse on Washington Quarters

13 posts in this topic

Below are two images of two different 1962 Washington Quarter Reverses. The first is what I understand is the normal reverse. The second one I believe is what is referred to as a Type B reverse which I am trying to confirm.

The reverse die was inadvertantly produced using a Type B hub, intended for use with Proof dies. The indicator in these images for me is the spacing between the base of the E and S of "States" which is greater on the Type B. The eagle feathers should be enhanced and a stronger strike on the leaves.

Opinions Please:

Is it a Type B ?

How common are these?

Both of these coins are still in the mint packaging.

Thanks,

Rey

1962WashingtonTypeAReverse.jpg

1962WashingtonTypeBReverse.jpg

Hey Rey. I have the 63 and 64. I got them pretty cheap, around $12.00 a piece. Unfortunately NGC doesn't recognize them as a variety. Which is considering some of the stuff they do recognize.

Thanks for the confirmations. The interesting thing about this is that I picked up 5 mint sets yesterday at an estate auction, 61, two 62's, a 63 and a 64. All but one of the 62's is a Type B reverse. I am now wondering if the original owner had these because of that since there were no other mint sets for sale.

How common are these, is there any premium on these. (I realize that many times the "values" listed in Cherry Picker's are many times very optimistic.)

Thanks,

Rey

is there any other years that have the Type B reverse ?

Across the street there was a post last week about Reverse B's and some made it into the early clad years but i dont think the topic got into any detail just wondering ??

snowman

The Type B Reverse design was intended for use on Porrf issues from 1936 to 1972. The Type B reverse can be found on regular circulation-strike issues afor Philadelphia from 1956 to 1964. According to the Cherry Picker's Guide all are considered scarce to very scarce. Mint sets of 1959 and 1960 are known with Type B reverse quarters according to CP also. That is where I am sort of perplexed and asking about these that I have since they are from 61, 62, 63 and 64 Mint Sets.

Rey

Hi Rey,

I've just recently learned of the type b reverse as well. I've been going thru my silver collection and after looking thru $750.00+ in quarters I have found no less than 45 of these from 1956 - 1964. Though none from 1958. Maybe someone should post a question for NGC on their board as to why they don't recognize them. It's not like they are difficult to identify. BTW, isn't there also a type "C" reverse found on the 1964 D? Anyone know what that is all about?

Rob

Hi..the "Type C" reverse was cut for use on the "new" clad quarters for 1965.

While the mint was striking the last silver quarters in 1964/65 on of the die was fitted with the new "clad" die and a small percentage of the 1964 D quarters were struck with the new reverse die.

These "Type C" reverses have stronger detail on the leaves (especially above the "AR" in DOLLAR). In addition, the vein, or center line in the eagle's tail feathers is very sharp and distinct, this is virtually nonexistent on regular die silver quarters.