• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958 D Cent - Misalligned die?

10 posts in this topic

I've attached pictures that show the entire slab so you can see relative orientation. Do my eyes deceive me or is the reverse misalligned relative to the obverse?

I don't see many error coins and I'm trying to figure out if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

41322-1958DObverse.JPG.95474ab51e8ce0e6956a443fc0f5b5b9.JPG

41323-1958DReverse.JPG.74e1f866dde991d52387d0ee3649ef01.JPG

Doesn't look off to me. The best way to tell is get a raw one and hold it like the slight angle that the slabbed one is facing and turn it. It looks right for me. these also aren't really that much of an error unless they are at least 15% or more off.

not so much. looks within mint tolerance, that is to say it is not rotated to a point that it qualifies as an error.

Oh well, it was worth asking. I bought it as a 1958-D and wasn't paying a premium for an error coin, so I'm not concerned much either way. It just became a point of interest when I had the coin in hand and started taking a harder look at it.

I don't see anything wrong with this coin, but just for your information:

Rotated die: one side is rotated relative to the other. This is not important unless it is more than 15%. This is what you appear to be asking about.

Misaligned die: One side is off-center, while the other side is generally centered. This happens when the hammer die is loose, and strikes the coin off centered. Since the coin is resting in the collar on the anvil die, it will be struck centered still. You most commonly find this error on dimes, but I have several nickels with this problem also. These are relatively common, but do carry some premium when the misaligned side is off center enough to affect details. For example, I have a nickel with the obverse misaligned to the extent that the top of the date is missing, however the reverse is perfectly normal.

Misaligned die: One side is off-center, while the other side is generally centered. This happens when the hammer die is loose, and strikes the coin off centered.

Rotated dies may happen from a loose die (more common on early coins for this reason than on later ones.) but misaligned dies are caused because the die has not been locked down in the proper location. There are adjustments on the press that allow the die holder to be moved frm side to side slightly. It has nothing to do with whether or not the die is loose.

For sure it is a rotated reverse coin. Very common with Mercury Dimes. In the past I have been able to purchase coins for great reductions due to that rotated effect. However, lately at coin shows I've noticed that error coins of any kind have incrased in value to the point of the slightest error such as a rotated reverse is now selling for premium prices. At one coin show I frequent one dealer sells nothing but error coins and rotated reverses are right there with everything else.