• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will price for common foregin coin in super high grade sore in future?

13 posts in this topic

Due to lack of money, I'm thnking of getting rid of some of my Japanese coins graded by NGC/PCGS.

When it comes to a large and popular coin like one yen silver(whitch is as large as a silver dollar), there's significant difference in price if the coin is graded one point higher.

But how about other minor denomination?

Among the coins I'm thinking of selling, there's 1917 10sen silver in MS68(PCGS)

It's as small as a dime and a very common date. I got this coin raw at 2000yen( appox. $17) at local coin show.

But imagine if it were a U.S coin, I guess there's a big difference in price between 67&68 and I might have gotten a huge fortune :/

Now it's in PCGS holder, I might get $90 or even more, but I can hardly imagine I make huge profit......at least now.

Do you think I'd better hold this coin for several years to see if the prices of these "common, but high grade" sore or do you think these coins will never never sore?

I don't foresee a lot of grade premiums in world coins.

There may be numerous exceptions but these will occur in relatively predictable areas. Where sets are common and relatively inexpensive these premiums can develop because the coins are available. It is most likely in series that are generally poorly made or are extremely attractive in higher grades.

Of course it has most to do collectors who are not very predictable.

Where there is little range in quality there is less justification for grade premiums so they are less probable.

I've been buying/selling high grade foreign for several years. The market for such coins has clearly been going up.

There are clear trends with countries. A country will get hot and prices just explode. Then more of the coins hit the market and prices start to cool off. Sometimes prices outright die. Greece was really hot 1-2 years ago. Gem coins from the 1950-1960s were exploding in price. Catalog prices moved up, but the trend is now dead. Prices are way down and some of the stuff will not even bring half of unc catalog in MS65.

I suspect that as the TPG become more and more accepted by the international buyers, the gem and superb gem coins will continue to go up in value. The TPG are also helping buyers learn what coins are rare in gem condition. Many countries that you'd not suspect have little supplies of gem coins.

Your coin is easily worth more than $90. I'll give you $125 for it sight unseen. I suspect that you could get $125-$200 for it if sold properly. Given the fact that rolls of these coins can still be found and I suspect that some bags of them are still sitting unopened, I don't believe that this particular coin will even real extremely high value.

Do you think I'd better hold this coin for several years to see if the prices of these "common, but high grade" sore or do you think these coins will never never sore?

I don't know if prices will soar or not, but if you sell now they might make you sore.

Seriously, homonyms people.

I don't know if prices will soar or not, but if you sell now they might make you sore.

Seriously, homonyms people.

toyonakataro

Talkative?

65.jpg

Loc: Japan

:grin::blush::grin: Sorry for my bad Engrish

I usually don't post here because I know how terrible my English is and when I post here, I'm usually drunk :grin:

I also have one in PCGS67 with similar toning.

So It might be interesting to consign both of them at the same time and see what happens. I'll report you back the results in that case.

But I haven't decided yet and might keep them for a while.

Don't apologize Taro-san.

I'll bet your English is a whole lot better than physics-fan3.14's Nihongo!

私は同意する。

私は同意する。

Is Japanese typable?

じゃ、私も日本語で。

No apolygy needed, It's my fault.

And since you kindly pointed out my mistake, I'll never make the same mistake ...................................................................................................maybe :blush:

I just saw something last night on ebay I couldn't believe.

A 2001D Chinese silver panda graded MS70 by NGC sold for over $600. That same coin can be bought in MS69 as a buy it now for $39. The Panda market is hot but I never thought I'd see such wide price differences between grades.