• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 Peace Dollar, VAM-1B

9 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I posted and things have changed here a bit. It's also been a while since I bought a new coin so I figured I would share this one and get your opinions. It's in an old PCI holder, but what do you think it should grade? There is a bit of glare in front of Liberty and a few light scratches on the holder.

The obverse really only has one significant mark, the reed mark on the neck. The reverse has more chatter but nothing really big. Something is going on where the eagle's foot meets the rock. I didn't notice it until I started checking it out with a loupe. That's also when I noticed the die scratch near the olive leaves. I checked on VAM World and believe this is a VAM 1B. There are no pictures to compare but the description matches. Any Peace VAM experts care to comment?

1935.jpg

1935close.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I think the obverse looks like an easy 65 though I'm not sure how much might be taken off for that reed mark. Without it, the obverse might be 66. The reverse is borderline though, in my opinion. But the coin has nice luster and what I believe are original surfaces. I bought it off eBay in an old green PCI MS65 holder but paid an average MS64 price. With the huge jump in price between 64 and 65 I think I did well even if it were to grade out as a PQ 64. But I'll probably leave it in it's current holder for now.

I guess there aren't many Peace VAM enthusiasts around here, or maybe anywhere. It's hard to get much info on them. There were none listed for this date/mint in the VAM book, 4th edition. VAM World lists the VAM-1B as an R5 but that means several thousand exist, which is a lot different than an R5 Bust Half.