• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a counter-stamp on this 1813 CBH?

25 posts in this topic

An antique store had a box of what was labeled "damaged coins". I, of course, had to look. There were maybe 10 holed and bent coins, Morgan's and Barber's, but there was also this CBH. It is oh so close to a nice single leaf example, but aside from the variety, has anyone ever seen a counter-stamp like this?

Is it a counter-stamp?

It is not something done recently and inside the squares is some old looking dirt.

Was a stamp like this used by any businesses or individuals back then?

Any opinions appreciated.

1813csobv.jpg

Maybe it was counter-stamped at a waffle house. lol Sorry, couldn't help myself. (shrug)

pancake house has been around that long?

Now that's funny, Bobby, I don't care who you are!!!

I think there were only two waffle houses open in 1813, one in Philadelphia just down from the Liberty Taco Bell and one in Boston just below the Bean Town Gas Light Lounge. If my memory serves me.

It would be very nice to know how, where, when, and why it was done. I'm sure would've really put some history on this coin!!

Now that's funny, Bobby, I don't care who you are!!!

I think there were only two waffle houses open in 1813, one in Philadelphia just down from the Liberty Taco Bell and one in Boston just below the Bean Town Gas Light Lounge. If my memory serves me.

You're that old?

Hey....at lease it was a counter-stamp from a waffle house and not a pancake house :o

1813csclose.jpg

actually, it's quite lovely. I would suspect it's worth about a million and a half dollars if you could clean out the 5th square in the second row.

but all joking aside. my feeling is it is a counterstamp, I'll bet Conder knows something about this...

I like it alot, reminds me of certain stamp cancellations that are uncommon.

Counterstamping was often done on various coin denominations by merchants of old to advertise their store, wares or services. Others were done by individuals professing their love, to promote a political cause, or sometimes to commemorate a special event at, or near, the time the CBH or other coin was created.

Souders; Bust Half Fever Second Edition Page 454

Perhaps this stamp has something to do with the War of 1812 shrug.gif

This is really an early mint example of a waffling machine to destroy defective coins before melting them down. I'm surprised that it is not slabbed and sold as one of these new "waffled" state quarters ;)

This is really an early mint example of a waffling machine to destroy defective coins before melting them down.

are you serious?

This is really an early mint example of a waffling machine to destroy defective coins before melting them down.

are you serious?

No, I am sarcastic. With the popularity of waffled state quarters, Kennedy halves it was an attempt at sarcasm.

Actually I think it is post-mint created either as a counter stamp or someone's experimentation.

It's strange, but I have seen this exact pattern on other early coins as well. In fact, I recently sold a large cent with that on it (as a damaged coin, of course). It doesn't really follow our current definition of a "counterstamp", but it is possible that in a contemporary sense, it was.

I wish I had a better answer hm

Looks like it was made by one of those steel mallets butchers once used to "tenderize" tough steak.