• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1976 Bicentennial Quarter With Odd Rim Markings

8 posts in this topic

I noticed this coin in a mint set I recently purchased. The rim (both obverse and reverse) have markings on it like the reeding on the edge. It can be seen on the obverse from 9 to 12 and on the reverse from 6 to 9.

The marks appear to be exact size of the reeding. Near the L in Liberty on the obverse, there is an area where there is a "longer" section between the marks and the direction of them appear to change.

Anyone know exactly what this is? Error or damage? If error, value? Will NGC attribute it as an error?

1976quarterwithoddrims.jpg

Very cool error. Don't know what it is, but it's interesting that although it's the same size as the reeding, it does not follow the reed pattern. It's as if the coin slipped one way then another in the collar while there was still pressure on the edge. Curious. It'll be good to hear what this is.

Hoot

It's very common on the '73 to '76 mint sets especially. It's called mint set crimping damage and is caused by the coin getting placed poorly on the plastic and "crimped" when the set is sealed.

I've seen a low grade example of this in circulation.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Mint's packaging equipment of the 1970s and 1980s also accounts for the almost universal scuff on the shield of mint set Kennedy Halves from those years.

The Mint's packaging equipment of the 1970s and 1980s also accounts for the almost universal scuff on the shield of mint set Kennedy Halves from those years.

DWLange; Do you have any specific information or pictures related to the mint set packaging in these years? The '80-D half is nearly universally scraped on one side or both.

I know this info is extremely tough to get, but I though I saw a picture of the equipment many years ago but can't locate it.

I've got a lot of those.

I first noticed them on a 68 penny totally ms68 except for the marks.

That happened all through the 70's

PS Greg:

I see that you are looking at something other then US coins now.

Am I missing the boat here?

Glen

PS Greg:

I see that you are looking at something other then US coins now.

Am I missing the boat here?

Glen

I've been buying up high grade foreign coins for the last 1-2 years. I think that they are going to move up in price especially when the foreign registries get up and running. Just recently I've been spending more time looking thru dealer stocks to see what is there and I'm starting to submit them to NGC to see what they are looking for to get a high grade. I've got 65 in right now.

So far I haven’t been trying to sell any. I’ve been buying a few out of the auctions and they aren’t bringing really strong prices.

For the most part I am looking for 19th century coins, but I am also buying early 20th century. These coins just seem too cheap right now. I've been able to pick up some coins in MS65-67 where the Krause catalog stops listing prices in XF. I've been able to buy these for at most 5X XF price.

I've gotten lots of MS65-68 coins for less than 2X unc price.

I just don't which ones are going to turn out to be common in high grades. Some coins that aren't listed above XF in the catalog I've been able to pick and choose between 5-10 in unc-to-gem unc from the same dealer. Is it a mini hoard or is it going to turn out to be common?