• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just purchased an 1866 with Rays Shield Nickel from NEN

22 posts in this topic

I saw this coin on NEN and really liked the look but knowing nothing about shield nickels I sent a PM to Michael asking for his opinion on the coin since he told me to drop him a PM on any coin. After reading what he said about the coin I went ahead and bought. The coin was offered for $179 plus shipping but I made an offer of $150 and they countered with an offer of $160 so I went ahead and bought it for $166 shipped. I think it will be a very nice addition to the type set. What do you think? :)

4772624oxd6.jpg4772624rvv9.jpg

I like that one. Looks good and I really like the crust factor/originality...Mike

p.s. Michael is both very knowlegeable and very willing to help others. Bravo, Michael!

Most Shield Nickels are poorly stuck, and sometimes struck on defective planchets. This piece is a very happy exception. You did very well. Congratulations!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am really looking forward to seeing it in hand. I will definitely take some better pics to share of it when it arrives. :)

Nice looking pickup. (thumbs u IMO the w/ Rays version is much better looking than the without rays version.

Sweet Shield with rays! :applause: Excellent choice for a type set. (thumbs u

That is a tough coin to find a nice example of in either circulated or MS and yours looks very nice.

This nickel has the crusty eye appeal I like in circulated coins and great strike (for a Shield Nickel that is) as seen in the rays for example; not often you see the two splits on every set of rays, this coin has nearly all. The filled one also adds to the appeal of this coin, makes it more unique. :cloud9:

It looks to be slabbed, is it? What’s the grade? hm

Do to so many shield nickels being struck poorly it’s hard to tell wear from details that were never there to begin with, but I’d say EF40 for this one. (shrug)

I also like feel it's great of Michael to offer and give his advice to help you.

Michael you rock! :banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang::banana::headbang:

Very Nice Shield Nickel. Most definitely a nice addition.

Some interesting "Nickel" facts.

The Shield 5 cent piece along with the copper-nickel three piece cent were the first US coins to use nickel. Thus the term Nickel.

From 1866 to1873 the Shield Nickel and the Seated Liberty Half Dime were in use.

The Shield Nickel and Two Cent Piece were both designed by Longacre, thus the similarities.

With the exception of 1942-1945 "Nickels" have always consisted of 75% copper and 25% nickel - 141 years.

All copper-nickel 5 cent pieces weigh the same, .16 ounce, with the only real differnce between all 5 cent pieces has been the diameter.

Very Nice Shield Nickel. Most definitely a nice addition.

Some interesting "Nickel" facts.

The Shield 5 cent piece along with the copper-nickel three piece cent were the first US coins to use nickel. Thus the term Nickel.

From 1866 to1873 the Shield Nickel and the Seated Liberty Half Dime were in use.

The Shield Nickel and Two Cent Piece were both designed by Longacre, thus the similarities.

With the exception of 1942-1945 "Nickels" have always consisted of 75% copper and 25% nickel - 141 years.

All copper-nickel 5 cent pieces weigh the same, .16 ounce, with the only real differnce between all 5 cent pieces has been the diameter.

Actually, the Flying Eagle cent used nickel and predates both the Shield nickel and three-cent nickel. Flying Eagle cents were 88% copper and 12% nickel. (thumbs u

Ahh, Tom, thank you for the clarification. Was the same Nickel miner who pushed for the use of nickel with the other coins involved?

My impression of the Flying Eagle cent is that the large cent was unpopular enough that the US Mint was actively looking for a substitute metal or alloy for production of cents and that nickel alloy was valuable enough to provide the alternative.

I agree that the Shield with Rays is very difficult to find nicely struck or even half way so. A number that you see are just ouright missing details that never existed in the first place. I've had this for a while but I spent at least a year looking for one that I was happy with.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg