• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five Toned Commemoratives (225K in Size)

15 posts in this topic

My new scanner arrived today so I decided to try and scan a few coins. Here are 5 toned commemoratives from my collection.

A 1952 GWC. Splashes of greens, blues, purples, reds, yellows, and golds on the obverse. Several rings of color around the reverse including different shades of green.

1952gwc.jpg

A 1918 Lincoln with red, gold, green, purple, and orange swathes on the obverse. Speckles of the same colors around the reverse rims.

1918lincoln.jpg

1937 Arkansas with a red, green, and blue crescent around about half of the obverse rim. Lots of color drops around the reverse rims.

1937arkansas.jpg

1946-S BTW with a light lavender and red obverse and deeper lavender reverse. Superb luster.

1946sbtw.jpg

1936 Rhode Island with a section or burgundy, red, green, orange, and yellow.

1936rhodeisland.jpg

Greg, this is not a fair post. 893frustrated.gif You know I would be envious of you. You know I would want your coins, so pretty with color. You know you won't sell them. A tear runs down my cheek.

So what are the grades, as if that matters. grin.gif

TRUTH

Me likey the Arkansas and the GWC.

You need get a Dig camera, Greg. The scanner just doesn't to the job when it comes to luster and they also have problems with darker coins.

jom

Greg, this is not a fair post. 893frustrated.gif You know I would be envious of you. You know I would want your coins, so pretty with color. You know you won't sell them. A tear runs down my cheek.

frown.gif Now I feel sad for you. Thankfully I didn't scan any coins from my 'good box". shocked.gif

So what are the grades, as if that matters. grin.gif

All are graded by NGC.

1952 GWC is MS65*

1918 Lincoln is MS64

1937 Arkansas is MS65

1946-S BTW is MS65

1936 Rhode Island is MS66 and the picture doesn't do it justice. The color is really nice and these so rarely come with color.

First Boiler, now you today! sumo.gif What's the deal? Does no one care about my hospital bills? Fell off my chair this time! 893whatthe.gif

Unreal coins. The GWC and Arkansas are simply stunning to me. Over what period of time did you find these stunners and were they raw? Great picks.

What was the scanner you purchased?

Hoot

Me likey the Arkansas and the GWC.

You need get a Dig camera, Greg. The scanner just doesn't to the job when it comes to luster and they also have problems with darker coins.

jom

A digital camera is on my list. I've been researching them to see what is good to use for capturing toned coins. The last one I had didn't take pictures of slabs that well. Hopefully I can find the one I decide on refurbished on eBay. Gotta love the refurbished electronics you can get on eBay for 25% the price of it new. laugh.gif

As for the Arkansas, I got that coin rather cheap out of a Heritage sale. The picture was pretty bad, but if you can read their photos you could see the rainbow tone. The GWC I got from Texas Bullion Traders at the last Long Beach show. It only took me a few hours of haggling with Bryan to finally buy the coin at a price I wasn't light headed about. Thankfully it didn't have the * designation when I purchased it or I'd still be haggling on the price. wink.gif

Unreal coins. The GWC and Arkansas are simply stunning to me. Over what period of time did you find these stunners and were they raw? Great picks.

What was the scanner you purchased?

Hoot

The GWC was purchased from TBT.

The Arkansas out of a Heritage auction.

The Lincoln from a dealer at Long Beach. He name is Lance Tehor or something like that. It started at $180 when I first saw it and it kept going UP in price every other show.

The BTW was raw off eBay. I got the entire set for $45 and the P & S went MS65 while the D was sold raw.

The Rhode Island was purchased at Long Beach from a dealer I can't recall this second. He is kind of known for his toned commems (not Shepard). He sold it to me really cheap. The color is really nice, but the scanner didn't really get them. I saw a slightly less attractive one for sale a few months later for 3X what I paid. shocked.gif And it sold! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

I used the HP 4570C scanner. $200 new, but only $60 refurbished off eBay (seller ebestdeal4u). I've been using it at work for a couple of weeks and it has been pretty good. Finally bought one for myself off eBay.

The Rhode Island was purchased at Long Beach from a dealer I can't recall this second. He is kind of known for his toned commems (not Shepard). He sold it to me really cheap. The color is really nice, but the scanner didn't really get them. I saw a slightly less attractive one for sale a few months later for 3X what I paid. And it sold!

Yes, that RI is quite unusual. Most of those come dipped out white and with a significant lack of lustre.

All nice coins!

Hoot

Nice coins Greg. I like them ALL!

The BTW seems intriguing with the purple reverse, and your claim of the exceptional luster. It must be VERY attractive in person.

Wow they sure are nice. I especially like the Arkansas. I just helped a friend liquidate a nearly complete commerative collection and none had toning anything close to those. Most were white even though they were in an album for over 30 years.

I've seen the GWC in person and it is as terrific, if not a tad better (a bit more luster than what is showing in the scan) as is shown.

Nicely matched set Greg.

Greg: I might suggest looking for a used Nikon 950 or 995. There take great close-ups.

The lighting is most important however. Scanners use a pure flourecent (sp?) so it isn't the best for darker coins OR for luster.

See my site. All my problems with pics were solved with the lighting... laugh.gif

jom

Stunning coins, Greg! grin.gif Too bad you won't sell them to me. frown.gif893frustrated.gif

The dealer's name you can't recall well is Lance Tchor and he is now in FL under the name of Federal Coin and Bullion. Lance is a good guy and he and I have done lots of business together.