• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm asking an expert about this 1/2 Thaler

6 posts in this topic

I was told ATS that they couldn't find anything on this 1/2 Thaler. Thaler is listed but nothing on the 1/2. I guess what I'm looking for is where info was found and worth. Thanks

1619slab.jpg

1619.jpg

I am very new and ignorant about these coins (however facinated). I have a 1621 Hamburg Thaler which is bigger in diameter and feels about twice as heavy. Also differences in the legends were pointed out between this and Thaler found on internet.

Also differences in the legends were pointed out between this and Thaler found on internet.

I know, I pointed them out ATS ;)

Anyway, don't have a reference on these, other than Krause, which doesn't bother to list a lot of smaller-denominations.

This coin is a 1/2 Taler. Krause misses entire countries at times, so it is not surprising that these coins are not listed in there.

This coin is listed in Münzprägungen Herzöge von Sachsen-Altenburg 1603-1672 by Heinz Kernbach.

Best I can tell it is considered rare - which does not equal expensive in world coins. :)