• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear about the 1887(?) seated dime and 1901(?) Lib. nickel mini-hoards?

10 posts in this topic

Darn, I read it somewhere, and can't place where I read it. A dealer obtained a roll of each date, and received a wide variety of ms grades on the coins, and is selling, or has sold, the coins in lots. I know my info. isn't exact, but I think I'm close. Anyone?

You were supposed to keep this quiet until I could liquidate both rolls! How am I going to maximize my prfits now? 893frustrated.gif

For those of you who have not realized it yet, I'm joking! I don't know anything about such hoard.

Sorry for ruining your fun Tom, er, I mean profits. I'm going to do a little digging (knocking on my head), and try to remember where I read this. I KNOW it was in print, not something that was passed on in conversation.

Never heard of it, but I doubt a BU roll of those dates would make a bit of difference on their market price. They are both common dates and 50 and 40 more BU coins on the market wouldn't be a big blip in the market.

I agree Greg, although the number of dimes found was 100, and that could register a slight blip on the price guides. Still a neat find.

Found the article, it is on the 8/29/03 Bluesheet cover. There were 100 of the 1887 dimes, and all the coins went to NGC, and the 1887 dimes graded: 1-ms/60, 8-ms/61, 22-ms/62, 40-ms/63, 26-ms/64, and 5-ms/65.

The 1901 Lib nickels graded as follows: 7-ms/63, 17-ms/64, and 5-ms65.

There was also a roll of 1910 Lincolns in this group.

From the article, it is claimed that the coins will be sold as a "lot", to the highest bidder. An interesting strategy.

I would have thought so also Mike. That's why I found the selling method interesting. Probably a decent deal for the selling dealer, as the material moves quickly, no hassles, headaches. The slabs PROBABLY make the coins a bit more liquid, but with the lower ms graded coins, I'm not sure if the slabs mattered.

Again, I found it interesting. Both the information concerning the "hoard", and the method the dealer chose to sell the coins.

I think a cosignment to the next B&M auction would have been my choice. I remember in one of their auctions a few months ago they had a small hoard of mercury dimes 1937? and they went for many times the money I expected. Also if raw many think the coins wil grade higher than they actually will. mike