• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Critique This Photo

22 posts in this topic

It's slightly out of focus and I think you have too little light on the coin. However, the color appears good. Overall, it really isn't a bad image to get an overall feel of the coin, but really could not be used for more demanding applications.

Problem is, the way the coin sits in the slab, it's hard for my camera to get a photo that's in focus. Either the label, the plastic, OR the coin in focus. And since the coin sits slightly behind the plastic and the label, it seems hardest to get to come out.

The lighting is an overhead light positioned in one corner of the room, so basically ambient lighting was used to take the picture. I might maneuver some lights around to get better lighting. Thanks for the help Tom!

If you can't focus manually then you might want to simply take an image with the coin in focus and then another image with the certificate in focus.

Hi Chad,

That photo is much better than previous attempts. :)

I would suggest a second light, and have them about 45* apart. To improve focus a little, try to keep exposure times shorter that 1/100 of a second. To help focus and depth of field (having the coin and label both in focus) stop down the aperture to at least f/9 - f/10. Also, turn off ceiling fans, and don't take the pictures on the same table/desk as your computer is on. Use a remote shutter release. These last suggestions may seem obscure, but they really do help focus.

I was able to capture the NGC holder and the coin pretty well in this one. Slabs are usually not a problem, though, because I am a crack addict. :insane:

http://picasaweb.google.com/zrlevin/Homeless/photo#5074174646910084418

Read Mark Goodman's Coin photography article. http://coinimaging.com/photography.html

Let me know if any of this helps,

Zach

Zach,

All of this is foreign to me! This camera is insane... I try to change some of the settings, I think it works, and then it automatically changes back to the default setting. I'll get some more lights soon, definitely.

I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for the help so far!

I am not one for the technicalities of photoing a coin. Ask me how I photoed the last coin I shot. I could prolly not tell you my camera settings for it.

Sorry to leave you guys hangin' for so long... What do you all think about this one?

Different coin, a few different settings. Added a few lights around, moved the coin closer to the camera. I still don't think my qhite balance is quite right. It's in a NGC slab, so the background is the white insert.

189610o.jpg

189610r.jpg

That's another thing. This picture came straight from my camera, no reducing. Seems the pictures are coming out small. Going to go try to switch a few settings and try again (sigh).

Alright, more light.

I tried the uncompressed mode for saving the pictures, but they are saved as . TIF instead of .JPG. Anyone know what .TIF is? Wouldn't open in MS Paint, or in Photobucket?

Alright, more light.

Your photo is underexposed, but amount of light is not the problem. You need a wider (i.e. lower) f/stop, or a longer exposure. Exposure is usually the better of the two to fiddle with, and I would start there.

Alright, more light.

I tried the uncompressed mode for saving the pictures, but they are saved as . TIF instead of .JPG. Anyone know what .TIF is? Wouldn't open in MS Paint, or in Photobucket?

Tagged Image File. Paint should open this. You should also be able to change to a jpeg format in your "save as" option. Depending on what type of camera you have chad, you should be able to go in and setup the quality of pics. Usually this will let you set it up as in pixels or maybe HQ,SHQ,. You will be able to tell if you're in the higher format of pics if your picture availability number goes down. For instance, you can take 122 pictures now, the higher you set your quality of pics, the lower this number will go. Hope this helps.

You can probably get one used for a couple hundred bucks. The newest model brand new with all the gizmos and a macro lens will probably cost well over a grand.