• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

has anyone else felt self-compromised buy filling a slot?

16 posts in this topic

I mean, you buy a coin because it has the date you've been looking for, and even though you've held out for a really special one, you wonder: 'how much influence on this purchase was the empty slot?' rather than the purity of happening upon a really wonderful coin?

what I mean is, you buy an 18xx because you 'need one' and you 'found' one that 'looked right'. But how much of the 'looking right' is due to the pressure of needing one to fill that slot?

Yes, I have purchased some compromise coins.

The latest one was an 1854 with Arrows half dollar in NGC MS-63. The coin was mostly white on the obverse and toned brown on the reverse. As a type collector I get “collector fatigue” with all of the “with arrows” type coins there are to find. I can’t afford or perhaps even find the 1853-5 with Arrows coins in Proof, which is my preferred minting process for coins of this era, so I have to buy the business strikes. The trouble is the mintages were very large for that period, and the dies were often “tired.” That resulted in less than ideal coins.

The coin I purchased was not beautiful, but it was a strict Unc. with NO RUB. That’s an important point because a lot of slabbed coins from this era are sliders. I also bought it for a price between bid and ask, which was a positive point. I get tired “going to the mat” for everything. Having to overpay gets on my nerves after a while. If the coin is REALLY special, like 1795 half eagle I purchased OK, but otherwise it’s alright with me to take a break now and then. One thing I’ve learned is that I will never be the top dog on the registry. So getting to 99% complete is more in line with my goals.

I’ve seen some coins of the 1854-5 type years ago, but the supply seems to have dried up. There is not much to buy out there now.

I do it quite a bit, but that's because I always try to have "2nd-tier" sets to which I can eventually cascade upgraded coins. Then, I sell off the "2nd-tier" sets from time to time.

Right now, my Washington quarter has a 1932-D that's, at best, "adequate". When I eventually upgrade it, it will fall into my #2 set.

I've done this same thing too for many of the reasons already stated but also one more. I've had trouble even finding a particular date/mint mark/coin to fill the vacant slot. IMO it is better to have something that can be upgraded later than nothing at all.

I've never regretted doing this. With few exceptions these coins are adequate but not fully up to my standards for what I am trying to put together.

I fought that temptation mightily when I was putting together an original VF Barber half dollar set. It took several years, and perhaps one or two years longer because I was so picky, but I eventually culled out any coins that had a hint of compromise.

Currently, I buy what I find interesting and this allows much more flexibility without compromise.

I’ll tell you, I have filled up a lot of slots in my day :banana:… But seriously yeah my 1861-O half is a lower grade than I was looking for but it had enough skin to warrant it as a temporary slot-filler. I don't think I'll lose much on the transaction, maybe a little, but not too much.

I used to be a hole-filler, but Winston helped me fix that. Now I don't compromise when it comes to filling a hole. Nothing that I can afford is rare enough that I won't see another one, with an exception of some circulated classic commemoritives :pullhair: .

I have learned to check out the difference in price between the grade that I would like to have and the money it would cost to fill the slot. Sometimes the money saved can be put towards the coin that you really want instead of spending good money twice. Some coins have such a variance between one grade that unless I win mega-millions, will never be filled otherwise.

If you take the time to buy the book/folder you got to fill the slots.You can't have any pudding if you don't fill you slots -Pink Floyd or was that eat your meat

I am becoming more picky, to the point of no-compromise on not only the quality of the coin, but on paying a premium when it seems that another that is just as good will eventually come around for less if I wait. At least that is what I have been seeing and I will stick with it! :popcorn:

I know that a few years ago, when I first started my Franklin set, I was buying everything I could afford. Then I started looking at my set, and saw that I had alot of coins that were "compromise coins." So about a year ago, I started selling off these coins, and cut my set in half. Luckily, I was able to recover all of my money. The ones that remain are nice, but I am still not really content with a few of them.

If you take the time to buy the book/folder you got to fill the slots.You can't have any pudding if you don't fill you slots -Pink Floyd or was that eat your meat

That is why I don't care for folders. They are always mocking you............."Hey, doofus, are you having a hard time finding me? Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!" The only slots I have to be concerned about are in Las Vegas, but I don't fill them. I empty them!

Chris

Yes, my friend Chris---the holes do mock you sometimes.

As a kid, I was a whole filler. But ALWAYS looking for a better coin to exchange it.

As an older guy now, I am pretty picky. But, sometimes I do still buy a coin to fill the need of the moment. Then upgrade as it becomes available. You just NEVER stop looking---and buy where you can. Constantly improving where possible. Like James, I often end up with ANOTHER set. Bob [supertooth]

I am not sure the holes are what made the difference for me, after all, I think my 1927-D and 1933 Saint holes will always be empty for me, as will a few others. I think the difference is time and education. When I was younger filling the hole was the important thing for me, now, filling the hole with a quality coin consistent with the rest of the set is what is important. That said, I don't think I'll ever run out of upgrade opportunities in this hobby!