• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would cause this?

20 posts in this topic

Look at the color of the insert. It's all wrong and WAY too blue. Looks like the tint or color levels have been messed with. If you saved this image and messed with the tint and contrast until the insert looked the right color, I suspect you wouldn't be seeing anything half this wild. I'll have to play with my image software when I get home on this one...

Could even be the type of light used that is being picked up by the luster of the coin...

Harvey, it's almost impossible to tell whether it's AT or NT, but we know that the toning was PCGS-acceptable. The problem with this type of coin is, if you want to put together a reasonably matching set, it will always stand out like a sore thumb. What are the odds you could (or would want to) assemble an entire collection of lime-green Buffalo nickels? On the other hand, as just a single type coin for an impressively toned set, it might be ideal.

Some kind of chemical situation would have to cause the greenish color, but whether that chemical issue were part of the coin's environment, or intentionally and artificially induced will almost certainly be impossible to ascertain.

Thank's for the answer's guy's I figured it was a fake. Very interesting color seller has come up with.

I'm not saying it's fake. I am saying that based on the bright blue color of the insert, I don't think this is what you would see with the coin in hand under typical lighting situations.

I would agree that the coin doesn't look that color based on what the inset looks like. However, given the seller, I would say that the odds are the coin is AT.

I agree. The coin may be market acceptable but the colors still holler AT to me.

Thank's for the answers guy's I will be keeping an eye on this auction just to see how high it will go. When I first posted it the price was at $80 now it is over $300. Talk about paying a premium for toning rantrantra :blahblah:doh!:hi:

The seller is a forum member here. Ask him.
Pat Braddick has one of the most Liberal return policies out there...And although he is a character, I don't think I have met a man with more character on these boards.

I agree with you Mike. Also, I have never seen these coins he sells go for low dollars either. His coins do sell respectively!!

The seller is a forum member here. Ask him.
Pat Braddick has one of the most Liberal return policies out there...And although he is a character, I don't think I have met a man with more character on these boards.

I would love to talk to him to mabeye learn how he does it. I think this would be a great thing to learn At or not some of his coins are beautifull. :banana:

The coin will go for quite a bit of money, do not decide what you will bid until the end. As for the toning, my opinion is that the images are slightly saturated and that the coin will not have the fuzzy, neon feel in-hand that it does on my screen. I also think how Pat "does it" for many coins is simple; if you pay aggressively you can buy whatever you want.

Sellers that utlilize photo techniques with the intent to deceive should be ashamed of themselves, regardless of their return policy and forum membership.

IMO, saturation/hue adjustments (in camera or or post-processing) make those photos look the way they do. I expect the coin, in hand, will not be as brilliantly colored. The giveaway to me is the unnatural color of the insert -- when was the last time you saw a PCGS label that blue?

As far as NT or AT, I can't be sure. The neon green and reddish colors are naturally occuring on nickel, although I've not seen one toned quite like this before and would therefore be suspicious. This seller's history and associates would deepen that suspicion...

On the bright side, you can always return it, and even get back shipping (insert rolling eyes gremlin)...Mike