• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dansco Vs. Whitman Albums

22 posts in this topic

If you're talking about the Dansco albums vs. the Whitman folders, then Dansco. But I actually prefer Whitman's actual album (with pages and slides and everything) over Dansco, but it's just a preference for me. They will both store coins just fine

I have both and I like them both. Both make the coins nice and visible from both sides. I don't know if the whitmans are different with white pages, but I like the way the coins stand out better in a dansco. They have that leather "look" to them and I just think they look better. JMO

In my opinion, gold and copper coins seem to look better in Whitman albums, but I like my silver coins in Danscos. I actually use both, based on these parameters. I also have used Littleton albums on occasion, but I don't like how the spine is too big for those albums that have perhaps only a couple of pages in them.

Overall, my sets are about equally divided between Dansco and Whitman albums.

In my opinion, gold and copper coins seem to look better in Whitman albums, but I like my silver coins in Danscos. I actually use both, based on these parameters. I also have used Littleton albums on occasion, but I don't like how the spine is too big for those albums that have perhaps only a couple of pages in them.

Overall, my sets are about equally divided between Dansco and Whitman albums.

Truly equally, or First Spouse UNC and Proof equally? :confused:

I prefer the Whitman albums mainly because of the color. I like the blue color. Then again, I started over 35 years ago with the Whitman blue folders, so I continued with the Whitman albums.

However, you have to be careful with Whitman. In recent years, I have found Whitman's quality to be uneven. I have returned some albums because of problems with Whitman's folders. I have not seen the same issue with Dansco albums. They are nice albums, but I prefer the Whitman blue.

There is also an issue of what you plan to put in the albums. Early US coins had a tolerance in size that could be .1 mm. For some of those coins, like Large Cents, Dansco albums makes the holes large enough for the largest in tolerance. Whitman uses the average. So if you have a coin that is larger than the average, you will have a problem with Whitman's albums. Unfortunately, I don't like the look of the copper on the beige pages. For my Large Cents, I am using a Gardmaster album. I used Gardmaster for my Canadian coins and decided to buy their blank US Cent album for those pesky large cents.

Let me throw a curve ball into this discussion... how about looking into the Littleton albums? I received a "free" American Silver Eagle album from them and started to use it. The album is looseleaf style and the pages have riveted holes. The quality is every bit as good as Dansco with a green cover and pages that could be considered "off white." I am thinking that for the Sac and Prez dollars, I may purchase Littleton albums for each.

If you decided to use the Littleton albums, don't buy them directly from Littleton. Recently, I bought a Presidential Dollars album for my nephew at hobby-supplies.com. Their albums are $4-5 cheaper than buying directly from Littleton. Also, for an extra $4, buy the corrosion protection pages. Friends who use Littleton albums tell me it is worth the extra money. The slipcase is your option.

I hope that helps. :banana:

Scott :hi:

Let me throw a curve ball into this discussion... how about looking into the Littleton albums? I received a "free" American Silver Eagle album from them and started to use it. The album is looseleaf style and the pages have riveted holes. The quality is every bit as good as Dansco with a green cover and pages that could be considered "off white.

Scott, I mentioned the Littletons above, but also mentioned a problem, and maybe you could provide some input. I had planned to put Peace dollars into a Littleton album as a test, but the thing that is troublesome is that the spine of the album is much wider than the open edge. In other words, the album's footprint is like a wedge, so if there are many of these to put on a bookshelf, they skew and don't seem to stand up straight. I hope the question makes sense. If you have any insights, please do share.

Nobody has mentioned Eagle albums.

I have a littleton album also for my statehood quarters. they are nice but I don't like the way they are set-up like a 3ring binder. The pages get caught up and it just gets to be a hassle sometimes.

bigmanSAM88 you must have been reading my mind, I was going to post this exact same question, I want an album to put my Franklin halfs in. So I can't go wrong either way???

I'm eclectic when it comes to my albums. Dansco houses my 7070 and Ike Set. Whitman has my Canadian Dollars and Circulated Peace Dollar collection. I have Eagle albums for my Capped Bust Halves. I have another Eagle album, the Walking Liberty model that I use to house my 1933S-1947D Walkers plus other miscellaneous halves that I own from Reeded Edge through a couple of Kennedy's.

For safety of the coin in the holder and album, nothing beats Eagle. My experience is that Whitman allows the coins to be seated slightly lower than the Dansco which minimizes potential slide damage across the coin. As far as color goes, that is purely one's own decision. My silver Canadians look great in the Whitman as do the more recent Loonies. Then again, the Ikes are okay in the Dansco too. Eagle holders come in black and white. My preference is to use the white with my darker coins such as the Capped Bust Halves and black with more silver coins such as the Walkers.

I have a couple of Littleton Holders for Washington Quarters but I really do not like them as much as the others. I think James spoke well regarding how they sit on shelves.

Hope this helps!

Here are my thoughts on all this. I have coins in about 6 types of Albums. If you wanted toned coins in years to come search out an old "Wayte Raymond" album. If you a nice well layed out album go with a newer Dansco or Whitman Album. If you like blue go with a Whitman Classic album. If you want to make sure of no toning at all (Well alot less chance) go with a non paper source such as a Capital Plastic holder. There are also numerous older albums which can be fun to put coins in such as the "Library of coins" series. I have coins in each and every one of these and I like them all for what they are. The one with the biggest space drawback would have to be the Capital Plastic. Hope this helps.

I have my display coins in Dansco, and for no other reason than I like the look of the album above all the others. I have nineteen on the same shelf and they look very nice together. I keep them strategically located in view of the living room in an effort to have vistors ask; what are those books?

I have my display coins in Dansco, and for no other reason than I like the look of the album above all the others. I have nineteen on the same shelf and they look very nice together. I keep them strategically located in view of the living room in an effort to have vistors ask; what are those books?

Hear Hear. they do look nice don't they!!!!! (thumbs up

One other idea. If you are sure, and I do mean positively certain, that your collection is complete, and that you won't be adding to it, consider a Capital plastic holder. As Bruce alluded to, there is a whole new level of class that is apparent when a collection is meticulously holdered in such a display. I have two such sets - my Jefferson nickels and my #1 Peace dollar collection.

I would like to put my Washingtons in as well, but unfortunately, they do not manufacture a version with exactly the holes I want, and it costs a lot to custom-order a holder.

The reason you want to make sure you never have to open the holder back up to add or replace a coin is that it's a pain in the rear, and it's easy to smudge the inside of the clear lucite windows, but when all is said and done, I personally think it's about the classiest way a collection can be "albumized".

I have to agree. I love the look of a capital plastics holder full of coins. Just be carefull when moving it as the coins could bang around.

Thanks for all of the suggesstions everyone.

I happen to have some proof sets displayed in capital holders and I love the way that they look.

When the time comes and I finish a complete album then I may consider moving the coins into a capital holder all at once so that I don't have to keep re-opening it.

I also have just one more question:

Do the clear slips that go over the coins in the whitman albums provide more protection for the coin than the danso ones which don't have the slips?

I keep hearing about the Dansco's without slips. Were these older albums? Any Dansco I have bought has the upper and lower slips.

Scott, I mentioned the Littletons above, but also mentioned a problem, and maybe you could provide some input. I had planned to put Peace dollars into a Littleton album as a test, but the thing that is troublesome is that the spine of the album is much wider than the open edge. In other words, the album's footprint is like a wedge, so if there are many of these to put on a bookshelf, they skew and don't seem to stand up straight. I hope the question makes sense. If you have any insights, please do share.

Oh... that's easy... put the album in a slip case. Littleton albums comes in two sizes: 1.5 inch and 2 inches. So Littleton has two slipcase sizes. I use the slipcase with the anti-corrosion sheets. So far so good! :wishluck:

Scott :hi:

I keep hearing about the Dansco's without slips. Were these older albums? Any Dansco I have bought has the upper and lower slips.

Long ago Dansco made paper folders like Whitman does now.