• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have not been to Ebay in a while, and the first thing I see....

28 posts in this topic

It's bordering on criminal. I can only wonder what this coin might have once looked like before some quick-buck shyster decided to ruin it forever.

Won't ever end as long as there are unknowledgable buyers to buy these thinking they are certifiedly graded coins.

"Graded by someone certifiable" is more like it.

It's bordering on criminal. I can only wonder what this coin might have once looked like before some quick-buck shyster decided to ruin it forever.

My sentiments exactly :frustrated:

I see those capped bust halves graded by those "Fly-By-Nighters" all the time. The photos are taken a mile away as I guess they should. If they took close up shots we would all shriek in horror.

I'm confused. The running assumption here is that the coin is fake? The pictures aren't saying much to me (although with pictures like that it's hard to tell anything).

I wouldn't say the coin is fake. I would say that it has probably been diped to death, cleaned, and has some very nice photographic cover-up.

"Numismatic Assurance Grading Corp" another one to avoid...

sort of like "Certified Rarities And Products"...sorry...it's the best I could come up with on such short notice...L

I don't believe the coin is fake just dipped to death or maybe even polished in some artificial way. Can't tell much more than that from the pictures. It would be extremely rare for an original coin of that mintage to have remained as bright after 170+ years. I would also like to have seen the coin before it was "improved" and slabbed.

"Numismatic Assurance Grading Corp" another one to avoid...

sort of like "Certified Rarities And Products"...sorry...it's the best I could come up with on such short notice...L

"Coinsortium sticker company" shrug.gif

I can’t see it all that well but from what I can see it looks real albeit entirely devoid of its original skin.

Yeah that was polished off... WITH A BUFFING WHEEL doh! before it went into the plastic. :insane:

What a shame, that might have been a really nice curculated bust half before it was destroyed. And I do mean destroyed, that coin is only worth it's weight in silver to me now. (shrug)

I bought something like that once in an ANACS new holder that had been toned over. They refused to admit to me it was polished. Result: I never buy anything in an ANACS holder without seeing it in hand first. LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at his 1874-p 20 dollar gold smooth buffing must work in a plateing company with a

large slection of buffing wheels

I wonder if this guy ever met a coin that he wasn't able to turn into a "Gem" Uncirculated beauty? :makepoint:

$600 for a piece of polished silver. Hmm.

I think the most upsetting thing about this is that it will encourage rip off artists to ruin incredibly nice original AU coins and sell them in this way. It is hard enough to find these old coins that have not been messed with as it is. If I could get my hands on this character I would just :makepoint: that greedy :censored::censored::censored:rantrant

Nice! Who won that fine piece...TomB? hm

Ahhhh.......errrrrrr.......no. (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) When are you going to change your avatar? hm

41228-Copyofnew-1.jpg.d499a3a7942f3b803f3e6833bb851bce.jpg

Nice! Who won that fine piece...TomB? hm

Ahhhh.......errrrrrr.......no. (tsk) (tsk) (tsk) When are you going to change your avatar? hm

I don’t want to gross folks out while they read the boards. I’ll stick to my current avatar.