• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coins cause you to stray from your first love??

24 posts in this topic

What Series do you primarily collect??

What Series tries to lure you to spend the money you've set aside to purchase coins from your primary series??

I'll start us off.

I Primarily collect Morgan Silver dollars. However, I am tempted by the large cents that occupy space next to the Morgans in my dealer's Case!!! I love the Liberty designs on the large cents.

Anyone else

I collect early commems, but rainbow toned Peace dollars are calling out to me.

I'm also starting to look at early coins (1793-1807), but finding nice condition ones in affordable grades is extremely difficult. I really like the Bust dollars, but they are so damn expensive.

State quarters are also calling my....j/k.

I'm a big sucker for Lincoln cents. Even though my collection is complete I just can't seem to stay away. Maybe because they were my first love.

My first love is Type coins of the United States, but I start getting a hankering for gold every time I am around it. Gold dollars or quarter eagle Indians seem really neat.

I'm also starting to look at early coins (1793-1807), but finding nice condition ones in affordable grades is extremely difficult. I really like the Bust dollars, but they are so damn expensive.

Even finding nice ones in lower grade is difficult. Most of the lower grade pieces, especially in copper, look like they've been through a rock tumbler.

Although my first loves are buffalo and Jefferson nickels, I'm pretty distracted by early commems and old copper. Gold Indians of nearly any denomination are calling, but I have not (fortunately) pulled the trigger there.

Even finding nice ones in lower grade is difficult. Most of the lower grade pieces, especially in copper, look like they've been through a rock tumbler.

Isn't this the truth! I really love circulated early cents. Anything from the lowest grades up through AU can be amazing to me. Finding those without nasty damage or with smooth plachets is very tough. I recently purchased an AG03 1798 and an AG03 1795 cent, both incredibly well preserved. What a treat!

BTW Greg, truthteller must have DOZENS of rainbow Peace dollars laying around! wink.gif

Hoot

My primary interest is in superbly toned coins, primarily quarters, such as the image I use as my avitar. However, I actually spend more money on my secondary love and that is early type. At least my type set is coming along! smile.gif

I am currently working on a set on Indian eagles but these damn pattern half dollars keep diverting my attention and my bank account! smile.gif

1516.jpg

Oh My God....That coin Is FREAKISHLY Beautiful grin.gif

MAULEMALL- Thanks I just got it last week and it completed this little trio of my favorite half dollar designs laugh.gif

1512trio.jpg

Dude......This is the first time I have been envious of someone elses coins.

Very Very Nice. grin.gif

My first love has alway been circulated type coins. I just like the look and "hands on" history of lightly circulated coin with all its original dirt and patina.

Unfortunately, nasty people like TomB, Tonelover, and ANACONDA have exposed me to attractively toned MS coins and I've contracted the toning bug (turns out it's contagious without even seeing the coins in person--who knew?). wink.gif Luckily I'm priced out of this market for the most part; if I wasn't, my typeset would certainly suffer. smile.gif

BC

Tom- Yes it is. The defiant eagle reverse was also used in 1879 on the reverse of the Schoolgirl dollar pattern which was another of Morgans designs. The top coin is a Judd 1512 and its one of my alltime favorites. I think the beaded boarder on these coins add a touch of class. smile.gif I am glad you like them.

Mark

My first love when it comes to coins always was and always will be columnarios - Spanish colonial coins. The primary and what I consider to be the first coins used in this country - even before it was a country.

But I am easily swayed by nice examples of original Mint or Proof sets. And of course by high grade Peace dollars or GSA dollars. Then come the commems - modern & early. Not all of them - just those I particularly like. And over the past year I have finally been corrupted and have started collecting toned coins as well. Those dang things are gonna break me grin.gif

And I collect all modern coins including bullion because the day will come when they are no longer modern and future collectors will appreciate the fact that somebody saved them. And gold - I keep fighting - but it keeps pulling at me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And of course there are always the coins that I just happen to see that I simply must have. They can be from any series or from any country. Hate it when that happens 893frustrated.gif

So bottom line is - I'm liable to collect almost anything.

Seated half dimes....but recently I also find it fun to collect/build type set.

2 days ago, I got my first wheat cent in mint state and I was really surprised at it's beauty...never thought wheat cent was that attractive until I held it in person....I like collecting by type because I often come across this kind of surprise.

I added that wheat cent to my registrey(US type set)...wow, seems like I gained 8 points!! My points are getting closer to Bill Jones..... wink.gif

My primary interest is $10 and $5 Indian gold.

What steals my money is freaking TONED coins: Walkers, Standers and Buffs. Damn toned coins.... 893frustrated.gif

jom